Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
highwood38
Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Post by highwood38 » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 10:58 am

GTR have started consulting on next year's timetable. I found it by accident as I hadn't noticed anything in the station (though I haven't been looking that hard so there may be posters up). I'd say it's a minor improvement overall from Hertford North but the journey times in the evening are longer than at present (and they still seem to be padding the timetable with stupid timings (5 minutes from Old Street to Moorgate!))

https://www.transformingrail.com/

beebopb

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Post by beebopb » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:56 pm

I guess it depends when you're travelling. As far as I can see all but one of the existing fastest journeys departing Hertford North between 6am and 8:30am will have increased journey times on the new timetable. This seems to be because Hertford passengers are paying the price of stopping at Harringay and Hornsey to the benefit of passengers on the Welwyn branch, which will no longer have any trains stopping at those stations.

Of course some of the slow trains have slightly faster journey times on the new timetable, but in my experience most people aim to catch the fast trains at the moment, so I suspect most people will be adversely affected.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 1:40 pm

See Hertford North to Stevenage Consultation thread at
http://www.hertford.net/discussion/view ... f=13&t=840

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 7:52 pm

beebopb wrote:I guess it depends when you're travelling. As far as I can see all but one of the existing fastest journeys departing Hertford North between 6am and 8:30am will have increased journey times on the new timetable. This seems to be because Hertford passengers are paying the price of stopping at Harringay and Hornsey to the benefit of passengers on the Welwyn branch, which will no longer have any trains stopping at those stations.

Of course some of the slow trains have slightly faster journey times on the new timetable, but in my experience most people aim to catch the fast trains at the moment, so I suspect most people will be adversely affected.
The 7.46 becomes a minute quicker (the new 7.42) and the 8.18 stays the same (though it leaves at 8.12, which means it now arrives at Moorgate before 9) and they both have 5 minutes in their timetable from Old Street to Moorgate (which is clearly a scam to allow them to meet punctuality targets better). I agree with you they seem to have killed off any other quick morning trains which is a bit annoying. I had hoped the new trains would be quicker at getting people on and off as that's one of the big hold ups at places like Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington.

I never thought I would care about a minute here and there but when it's twice a day, five days a week it starts to add up!

I've responded to the consultation asking for faster trains from Hertford so maybe if others do that too it may help (though probably not)...

beebopb

Post by beebopb » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 7:52 am

highwood38 wrote:I never thought I would care about a minute here and there but when it's twice a day, five days a week it starts to add up!
As someone who regularly drags themselves out of bed in time to catch the 06:24, those few extra minutes seem particularly precious!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 5:45 pm

Let's not forget with withdrawl of train services to Stevenage

beebopb

Post by beebopb » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 12:59 pm

That's a massive issue and a further example of how users of the Hertford loop pay the price for improvements to services on the main line.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 5:00 pm

Petition against the withdrawl of services here:

https://www.change.org/p/department-for ... hare=false

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:58 am

Mark Prisk MP is running a survey on the service https://www.markprisk.com/news/mark-lau ... ger-survey

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 11:38 pm

TcfL wrote:Mark Prisk MP is running a survey on the service https://www.markprisk.com/news/mark-lau ... ger-survey
It would be interesting to see how he would address a high number of responses to questions 4 & 5 being "Price of tickets".