Recommendations for: Structural engineer to see if an internal wall will need a RSJ

Requests and recommendations for local crafts and tradesmen
Mardvagen
Recommendations for: Structural engineer to see if an internal wall will need a RSJ

Post by Mardvagen » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 11:52 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a structural engineer to check something. We're planning on knowing through from the kitchen to the dining room so the internal wall will need to go. I was just wondering if anyone knows a structural engineer who can have a look and write a short report? Whilst I've been told it does need this I'd like to get it in writing from someone with the qualifications/experience. Also, any idea on how much this might cost - I'm hoping not too much as it doesn't seem a large job. Cheers

Mack E. Avelly

Re: Recommendations for: Structural engineer to see if an internal wall will need a RSJ

Post by Mack E. Avelly » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 7:59 pm

Not an engineer, but I think if it's an internal supporting wall (i.e. the wall extends up to the bedroom), then yes you'll need a supporting beam to hold the upper wall up. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who'll tell you the proper story and will be along soon.

Taxing

Re: Recommendations for: Structural engineer to see if an internal wall will need a RSJ

Post by Taxing » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:10 am

Hi,

We had the same work done a couple of years ago (knocking through from kitchen to dinning room) as we were informed that we would need a support beam installed. We used Elliot Partnership Consulting Engineers, 14 Great Molewood, Hertford 01992 504700, mobile 07966 138425 email kevan@elliottpartnership.net

At the time they were really reasonable (cost a£300), whereas we were getting quotes in a range up to £800! We were really pleased with their drawings and structural calculations which were passed on to the builders.

Hopefully they are still an ongoing business.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 1:10 pm

Taxing wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:10 am
Hi,

We had the same work done a couple of years ago (knocking through from kitchen to dinning room) as we were informed that we would need a support beam installed. We used Elliot Partnership Consulting Engineers, 14 Great Molewood, Hertford 01992 504700, mobile 07966 138425 email kevan@elliottpartnership.net

At the time they were really reasonable (cost a£300), whereas we were getting quotes in a range up to £800! We were really pleased with their drawings and structural calculations which were passed on to the builders.

Hopefully they are still an ongoing business.
We used the same firm a year ago for similar work as well, and have no issues. Fair price for good work.