Sustainable Transport and the East Herts draft District Plan

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Joby
Sustainable Transport and the East Herts draft District Plan

Post by Joby » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 11:04 am

I spent some time last night going through the East Herts draft District Plan (a few hours of my life that I'll never get back) and one thing I noticed, apart from all the plans to build on green belt land, were the phrases "suffers traffic congestion", "education system at capacity" and "let's build loads more houses" sat repeatedly side-by-side.

The schools aspect was addressed somewhat, with sites identified for potential new schools (not the same as stating an intention to build them, of course) and plans to increase capacity at existing schools, but the traffic and transport aspects seems to have been swept under the rug. There are a few vague mentions of how "we need to develop more sustainable transport and encourage a modal shift away from the car towards cycling and walking" but absolutely no detail of how that might be achieved.

So...is it just me or does this plan effectively imply "let's build loads of houses, many on the green belt, then sit back and watch the roads snarl up with ever more cars"?

For anyone interested, plan is here: http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=29084

james

Re: sustainable transport and the East Herts draft District

Post by james » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 4:05 pm

Agreed. Hertford is at gridlock now. Without any concrete sustainable transport solution, the town will just implode under its own particulate matter. I'll be adding my comments to the plan.

MDT

Re: Sustainable Transport and the East Herts draft District

Post by MDT » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 7:12 pm

I agree.

I have also noted that the "unique character" of our market towns is highlighted throughout the draft. Nice photographs illustrate the document illustrating that "unique character". However, there are no positive suggestions of how the relevant authorities plan to preserve, or even enhance the character of the towns.

I would like to see positive action to try and preserve the semi-rural nature of the area; tree planting schemes on the outskirts of the towns and expansion of conservation areas etc etc.

Given the gridlock within the town, I wonder whether a bypass should be considered, partnered with the removal of the inner-relief road and "re-joining" of the two halves of the town. This would release building land for town centre development.

Of course, this is all pie-in-the-sky, but it's a shame it's not considered.

I have little doubt the town will end up feeling more and more like North London.

highwayman

Post by highwayman » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:51 pm

'gridlock'? 'a traffic jam so bad that no movement is possible''? Really? I think we need some perspective here. It may not be as free-flowing as some would like but it does all move.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 12:05 am

MDT wrote:Given the gridlock within the town, I wonder whether a bypass should be considered,
http://www.hertford.net/issues/bypass.asp" target="_blank

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 8:45 am

Highwayman I used to drive home from Lambeth every day and the biggest hold up on that route was normally in Hertford - although I agree it's not deadlock I also don't think it's acceptable either and is a problem that needs consideration.

Joby

Post by Joby » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 1:26 pm

highwayman wrote:'gridlock'? 'a traffic jam so bad that no movement is possible''? Really? I think we need some perspective here. It may not be as free-flowing as some would like but it does all move.
While gridlock may be an extreme term, the fact remains that traffic congestion is bad in Hertford and the plan does little to address that, while proposing many things that will make it worse.

Too many cars making too many journeys.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 2:29 pm

Joby wrote:
highwayman wrote:'gridlock'? 'a traffic jam so bad that no movement is possible''? Really? I think we need some perspective here. It may not be as free-flowing as some would like but it does all move.
While gridlock may be an extreme term, the fact remains that traffic congestion is bad in Hertford and the plan does little to address that, while proposing many things that will make it worse.

Too many cars making too many journeys.
Took me 34 minutes to get from Hertford North Station to the roundabout near the fire station. 34 minutes? That was astonishingly slow. I could have walked it a lot faster (although was actually going to Broxbourne so couldnt really have walked there ;) , did actually need the car)

Until they make public transport better, the car will remain. It would cost me £3.20 to get a bus to and from town. Why would I not use my car under those circumstances (and before you ask, it is a 45 minute walk, haven't got time to spend 1.5 hours walking to and from town)?

Joby

Post by Joby » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 3:06 pm

Kateg28 wrote: Until they make public transport better, the car will remain. It would cost me £3.20 to get a bus to and from town
Compared to the cost of running a car (once you've factored in insurance, MOT, servicing, VED etc.) I imagine that, mile for mile, £3.20 will seem comparable if not actually cheaper. Trying hopping on a bike - even cheaper and quicker (I can cycle to work in Stevenage in rush hour in less time than it takes me to drive there).
Kateg28 wrote: Why would I not use my car under those circumstances (and before you ask, it is a 45 minute walk, haven't got time to spend 1.5 hours walking to and from town)?
But this is the problem, isn't it? People think that public transport/walking/cycling is something that everyone else should do to reduce congestion, but not them because they absolutely need the car for [insert dead important reason here].

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 4:05 pm

Joby wrote:
Kateg28 wrote: Until they make public transport better, the car will remain. It would cost me £3.20 to get a bus to and from town
Compared to the cost of running a car (once you've factored in insurance, MOT, servicing, VED etc.) I imagine that, mile for mile, £3.20 will seem comparable if not actually cheaper. Trying hopping on a bike - even cheaper and quicker (I can cycle to work in Stevenage in rush hour in less time than it takes me to drive there).
Kateg28 wrote: Why would I not use my car under those circumstances (and before you ask, it is a 45 minute walk, haven't got time to spend 1.5 hours walking to and from town)?
But this is the problem, isn't it? People think that public transport/walking/cycling is something that everyone else should do to reduce congestion, but not them because they absolutely need the car for [insert dead important reason here].
I don't disagree with comparing the costs but when we need two cars (the third one is my hobby, a 25 year old car) anyway then the costs are already catered for.

Hopping on a bike to do what? Unfortunately my lifestyle and family committments mean that most weekends we end up in Stotfold/Milton Keynes/Stevenage and or Maidenhead with kids in tow. And as my son attends rowing races around the country, a car becomes pretty much essential (although we are all sensible and car share, I am taking 3 this weekend). I would defy anyone to explain how my family could actually do without a car.

For the record, my OH does work in Stevenage but he travels unsociable hours and has to cart products around (hence why we have two estate cars) so public transport nearly impossible. And he is not taking the shop's banking on public transport, that is just asking for trouble. I do however commute to London by train. He needs one car, we need two at weekends.

So then public transport becomes just too difficult. And I have realised it is nearer £5 return if I catch a bus from Fore Street. I could cycle but whenever I do go into town it is always on the way elsewhere ( as that is the only way I can fit things in) and carrying shopping on a bike is not much fun and then I have to consider the two boys.

£5 return is just incomprehensible to go into town.

Yes, I do sound like I am making up excuses, even to myself, but I genuinely do not know how I could do without the cars.