Inconsiderate cycling on the footways.

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Darcy Sarto
Re: Inconsiderate cycling on the footways.

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sat 27 Jun, 2015 11:23 pm

Not wishing to stir a well stirred pot too much further (who am I kidding)... :twisted:

I couldn't help but notice our local HiViz clad bobby on a bicycle riding his bike both on the pavement and across the pelican crossing outside Wetherspoons today :lol:

Toady

Post by Toady » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 9:46 pm

Hear hear James. Hertford not scary to ride in? Are you kidding? I cycle most of my 12 miles a day through central London (Farringdon Road, Embankment..) and it's my ride to and from Hertford North each day which is the time I've had the most narrow squeaks. I won't be drawn into the car marque stereotype (it was a Swedish make which last cut me up one morning last week) but I have experienced drivers talking and texting (tho not at the same time ;) ) and quite a lot of abuse, as I wend my way across my home town. Shame becuase me on a bike is one fewer car to be stuck behind..

Golden

Post by Golden » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 11:02 pm

I went out to town on Saturday on my bike and was nearly mown down by any number of inconsiderate pedestrians weaving their way around market stalls and wandering aimlessly in Bull Plain.

muddy

Post by muddy » Tue 28 Jul, 2015 6:42 am

Why would anyone try to cycle along Maidenhead Street & Bull Plain on Saturday - it's Market Day!! People are supposed to wander aimlessly at markets or am I missing the point?

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 28 Jul, 2015 8:12 am

Er .. I didn't say Maidenhead St. - I wouldn't even walk down there on a Saturday. Its the stalls that are spilling out into the road outside Bebos that cause problems and the river end of Bull Plain is usually fun with clueless people coming from all directions where there's not a market stall in sight. There was no point merely an observation that I considered relevant to the OP.

mdja

Post by mdja » Wed 29 Jul, 2015 8:49 am

I'm with Toady and James on this. I spent twenty years cycling around central London, and cycling in Hertford is diabolical in comparison. The other day, on a short ride from Tescos to Bengeo I had no fewer than three drivers attempting to flatten me. One of them pulled out of a T-junction right into me, and as far as I could tell from the stare the driver gave me, it was done entirely on purpose.

I am intrigued as to which footways/pavements the offending cyclists are riding on. I've not noticed any endemic problem here. Most of Hertford's pavements can hardly fit a pedestrian, let alone a bicycle, and I have no idea how anyone would manage to ride on them given that they are blocked with pushchairs, pedestrians and loiterers. There are however a few shared-use paths (e.g. past McMullens towards Folly Island) and some bits of unfortunate planning that leave cyclists baffled - such as the "Toucan" (i.e. shared use) crossing over Gascoyne Way towards the Castle, which you can't reach on a bicycle without mounting a very narrow stretch of pavement.