Sele shops disabled bays

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
steven
Sele shops disabled bays

Post by steven » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 7:54 pm

Is it just me or do other people get annoyed when they see able-bodied people parking in the disabled bays on Tudor Way?

Is there a PCSO or someone based up there I could email? A conveniently-timed amble past at 6-6.30pm on a Friday might start dissuading them.

muddy

Re: Sele shops disabled bays

Post by muddy » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 9:20 am

Totally agree Steven, however it's been going on so long, you & I are in the minority in worrying about where we park there I fear. Last night when I went to the chip shop I saw a mum & her daughter park on the pavement over the dropped kerb because they couldn't find a space. I think cameras are the only answer or a couple of big signs to shame them into parking somewhere else.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 9:30 pm

Absolutely agree,even at 6 in the morning there are people parking in these spaces when there are other spaces free. There is also another car-park just over the road ,but heaven forbid ,they will have to walk 100 yards .

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 10:34 am

I have seen the traffic wardens (or whatever they are called these days) turn up at Sele farm shops on weekend mornings on their scooters, ticket those cars in the disabled bays that don't have badges and disappear off again. I guess people who have parked there overnight are easy bookings and look good on their monthly targets. :evil:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 9:59 am

dutch knight wrote:Absolutely agree,even at 6 in the morning there are people parking in these spaces when there are other spaces free. There is also another car-park just over the road ,but heaven forbid ,they will have to walk 100 yards .
I have tried that several times and never found a space there in the times when Fleming Crescent is full. And it is really tight parking in there. So I now don't bother unless I want the recycling bins

If I cannot find a space, I either do a couple of circuits or park round the corner on the road.

Didn't there used to be 3 there so it was a high ratio of about 1 in 8 being disabled. I don't think 1 in 8 drivers is officially disabled.... Anyhow there are only 2 now.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 5:49 pm

steven wrote:Is it just me or do other people get annoyed when they see able-bodied people parking in the disabled bays on Tudor Way?
While I completely agree about the misuse of designated parking bays, bear in mind that not all disabilities are obvious to the casual observer. I understand that there are many disabled people who get abuse from the public for parking abuse, when they are entitled to disabled parking.

Ultimately, I guess you have to respect the blue badge, despite the fact that these two are subject to abuse.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 9:12 am

Alec wrote:
steven wrote:Is it just me or do other people get annoyed when they see able-bodied people parking in the disabled bays on Tudor Way?
While I completely agree about the misuse of designated parking bays, bear in mind that not all disabilities are obvious to the casual observer. I understand that there are many disabled people who get abuse from the public for parking abuse, when they are entitled to disabled parking.

Ultimately, I guess you have to respect the blue badge, despite the fact that these two are subject to abuse.
I am supportive of disabilities and helping make life more normal for them but if the disability is not obvious, why do they need a special parking bay? I know that may be an inflammatory remark but I am genuinely interested. The parking bays are to give someone a larger bay and less walking distance. If the disability is not motor related then what is the benefit to them of the disabled bays?

Our family had access to a disabled badge because of my late grandmother and some of us used it when she was with us but never abused it.

beebopb

Post by beebopb » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:04 pm

My mother worked most for most of her career treating amputees. She related a story of one her patients taking abuse from a passer-by for using a disabled space. The bemused response of the patient in question "...but I've got no legs."

With prosthetic legs and clothing I'm sure that the disability wasn't obvious to the passer-by, but I think you'd be pushed to argue that a blue badge was not warranted in this case.

Also many non-motor disabilities, for instance many respiratory conditions, may not be obvious to you when they park and walk into a shop, but may affect a persons ability to walk longer distances that could be involved if there are no parking spaces available to them.

With regard to the proportion of regular to disabled parking bays, I believe it makes sense that this reflects the fact that the disabled have a greater need for parking to be available to them and not just the proportion of the disabled within the population.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:08 pm

Most of the times that I have seen these spaces abused by non-disabled people ,they are people driving builders vans or similar and when the occupants jump out of the vans ,they most certainly are not disabled and as they are not displaying a disabled parking badge ,then they definitely mis-using the spaces.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 9:45 pm

I think we are all in general agreement that there is often misuse of the blue badge. However, playing devil's advocate here and turning the argument around, how valid are the grounds for some of the badges being issued?

Being blind qualifies you, but I'm willing to bet a couple of quid that that person won't be the driver and will therefore be accompanied. On that basis, is the badge warrantied just to be 25 yards or so nearer assuming the legs are in working order?

My grandfather contracted polio when he was about 11 which left him with a weakened leg and a thin and withered right arm. He qualified for a blue badge, despite spending most of his weekends throughout his late teens/20s/30s cycling and hiking around the Yorkshire Dales, and continued to be active in his later years. He only took the badge because my grandma was few years older than him and not so nimble. Did he really warrant the badge or was he mis-using it?

Other troubles aside, presumably Oscar Pistorius would have a level of disability that qualifies for a badge. Now, I'm sure he wouldn't pitch up at Sainsburys with the blades on, but even so he seems to walk about fairly freely.

I reckon there are plenty of undeserving blue badges when you get down to it. As in most things in life there are probably faults on both sides. Just sayin'.