Tamworth Road development

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
TcfL
Tamworth Road development

Post by TcfL » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 9:16 am

Link posted by EHDC: https://twitter.com/EastHerts/status/10 ... 9581190144 on a public exhibition 24 Nov at Mill Bridge Rooms

jackanapes

Re: Tamworth Road development

Post by jackanapes » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:32 am

Every time I pass those buildings I wonder how long it would take for them to be developed. No surprise really, and no real objection either especially if sensibly and sensitively developed and the current users are suitably looked after. Basically the site comprises of light industrial/transport buildings in a (quite nice, especially south side) residential road

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tam ... 4041?hl=en

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 9:53 pm

It's a largely residential area anyway and not the best location for industrial use, so new homes makes sense. I think there are only 3 or 4 businesses down there with most of the old units occupied by Fluorotec, who are moving to Welwyn Garden City.

Looking at their website, Rockwell's developments are mostly houses.

http://rockwellhomes.co.uk/

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:21 pm

Whilst I am not disagreeing with the above comments I do find it odd that EHDC having made such play of the need to get the District Plan approved to prevent speculative development, and recognising that the area is not a designated employment area (Policy HERTS6) in the Plan, there are the following statements: 7.1.5 As there has been some loss of employment in the town in recent years, it is important that the town should seek to maintain and improve on its current provision, to both internalise trips within the Hertford and Ware area to minimise out-commuting, and also to encourage new businesses to locate to the County town. 7.1.2 includes the statement 'Other existing Employment Areas in the town will be maintained and, where appropriate, modernised.'

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 12:54 pm

Interesting consultation with architect in attendance and very helpful in explaining proposals. Now clear to me that the employment element will be transferred to Mead Lane, so my previous observations not relevant. Also good to see that residential units will be able to recycle and there is dedicated parking. Personally like the design but will revisit it when planning application is submitted.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 2:41 pm

TcfL wrote:
Sat 24 Nov, 2018 12:54 pm
Personally like the design but will revisit it when planning application is submitted.
Interesting you should say this. I found the design to be stock architecture with little reference to the immediate surroundings. And yet again more flats with a token sprinkling of houses. A missed opportunity IMHO.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 4:23 am

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 2:13 pm

Respect your view and opinion but he did say he was trying to reflect the industrial heritage of the site and it does seem to lean that way. I suppose I also look at the area around Herts East and the 'upside down boat' which doesn't really reflect the railway history or North Road and what is IMO a block of seaside flats dropped onto a road miles from the sea (but it is slowly growing on me).