Bircherley Green Redevelopment 2016

News and views on shopping in the county town.
monkeyman1974
Re: Bircherley Green Redevelopment 2016

Post by monkeyman1974 » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 11:27 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-closures

Hertford store closure reported in national press..

Golden

Post by Golden » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 11:53 am

Looks like Waitexit is a done deal and personally although I'm not happy about it going its time to move on. I just hope that the redevelopment is still on course and that, as a town, we can work with the developers to avoid a cheap and nasty makeover based around a multi-storey car park. There are opportunities so lets now focus on getting the best of them.

james

Post by james » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 4:30 pm

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 1:21 pm

Planning application now available online

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... JMGGLFME00

The main Design & Access Statement is available via the link below:

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... 085062.pdf

wardclan

Post by wardclan » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 8:46 pm

So what do we think peeps , exciting times ahead for Hertford, this town has needed a good kick up the arse for years ......

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 2:37 am

wardclan wrote:So what do we think peeps , exciting times ahead for Hertford, this town has needed a good kick up the arse for years ......
How about you tell us what YOU think - other than just "exciting times".

And then maybe explain what you mean by "this town has needed a good kick up the arse for years".

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 8:02 am

The heritage statement contains some quite helpful pictures showing the differences in various views between now and after development. It's also got some entertaining architectural criticism of lots of existing buildings and (unsurprisingly) praise for the new design.

The public realm doc is also interesting as it shows some of the principles they've followed. I do like how there will be a straight clear road through to the river, as opposed to the winding road ending in the little covered steps and ramp that are currently there.

Personally I think it's a vast improvement on what is there now, though I can't really see huge changes to the previous plans. I didn't realize they were basically leaving the car park as it is and just demolishing other buildings. Presumably that makes the project quicker and a bit easier?

wardclan

Post by wardclan » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:26 am

Firstly I think you should wind your neck in Steve, secondly what do you think I mean by exciting times ? The town needs a facelift as it's slowly drifting into other near bye towns with umpteen charity shops and pound stretchers, and my god the riverside is a sh..t hole. I for one welcome the plans, there will be of course parts of it that won't be acceptable to all but on the whole bring it on . I was merely asking what others thought, is that OK with you ?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 3:09 pm

Overall, I welcome the plans. Bircherley Green has been showing it's age for many years.

Whilst I don't think anyone particularly welcomes the homes, it's a necessary compromise to finance the project. Ditto Premier Inn.

I have my reservations too about yet more restaurants and cafés.

I am also unhappy with the attempt to polish the turd that is the bus station frontage. More work needs to be done here to completely hide the existing building.

Waitrose is a loss, but Saville's (the owner's agent) will no doubt ensure that Bircherley Green is fully let out - as they have always done.

Opening up the river frontage is long overdue.

wardclan

Post by wardclan » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 8:35 am

It's a good mix of clothes shops (especially men's) and restaurants / cafes that will boost Hertfords trade especially for the independent guys that are so important to the town. I would have agreed Steve that we did not need anymore restaurants and cafes then for my sins I went to the galleria yesterday which is wall to wall restaurants and each and everyone was packed to the rafters, perhaps a frankie & bennys or likewise , a river island or the like would be just enough to lift the town. Most of all I want to see the riverside properly landscaped for everyone to enjoy. Waitrose shoppers will continue to use sainsburys and put their food into their waitrose bags :D So I'm sure we will all be ok, ( p.s I hope the multi coloured markings On the roads and footpaths that have been sprayed throughout the town come off !)