Bircherley Green Redevelopment 2016

News and views on shopping in the county town.
codek2
Re: Bircherley Green Redevelopment 2016

Post by codek2 » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 9:11 am

Well thankfully rejections from the public don't generally hold much weight do they?

When is the decision made?

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 10:00 am

codek2 wrote:Well thankfully rejections from the public don't generally hold much weight do they?

When is the decision made?
Yes and no. The public can influence decisions if based upon valid research, consultation and within planning guidelines and not based on vexatious objections solely because they do not want something to happen. There is a significant lack of resident groups who have contributed to this application process in support or otherwise.

As I mentioned above this application is due to be heard by the Development Management Committee on the 19th July. This is the date that Wrenbridge are now working towards. However there is always the possibility of a slip between cup and lip so a late and significant alteration to the plans may cause it to be put back again to possibly August. In the event things go to plan Planning Officers will make a recommendation based on all the submitted documentation from applicant, consultant bodies and public shortly before the meeting is due to be held. This is to give the Committee a guideline as to the thinking behind the decision; either approved or rejected.

Then the Committee will discuss it and vote. It is rare but certainly not unknown for the Committee to vote against the guidance of its own Planning team so that referral is very important as it will also give any legal or Government planing guidelines which have to be considered in a decision.

The DMC meetings are open to the public at Wallfields and also on a live webcast on the night. Could be more entertaining than Love Island on Coronation Street. On the other hand ....

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 3:03 pm

Halfords are also moving in September,although not too far.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 3:25 pm

^^ What John said

One of the issues is that many people simply don't understand the planning system. It's not a popularity contest.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 4:52 pm

You've got to hand it to the Mercury for up to minute news reporting; even possibly a scoop. :lol: They have just put a report on the internet that Waitrose will be closing at 4.00pm on 12 September. I said this on this board on 29 June. Where have they been?

You see this worries me. Does anyone read the Mercury? Customers are still asking staff if the Board are going to reverse their decision and remain in Bircherley Green despite the five foot high notices all around the store and even more fantastical, when will Waitrose be moving to Van Hages? I am actually trying to ask a serious question in the light of the other thread on the Carnival - where do local people get their news from?

When Bircherley Green Shopping Centre is partially demolished will the same questions be asked. What is the point of a local paper that has a digital presence as well as a high profile traditional paper one. I know this subject has been beaten to death but there is a lot of ignorance in town as to what is going on and I mean that in a very sympathetic way.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 5:44 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:You've got to hand it to the Mercury for up to minute news reporting; even possibly a scoop. :lol: They have just put a report on the internet that Waitrose will be closing at 4.00pm on 12 September. I said this on this board on 29 June. Where have they been?
Cheshunt
SloopJohnB wrote: ... there is a lot of ignorance in town as to what is going on and I mean that in a very sympathetic way.
Agreed. I still come across people who have no idea that the rail link from Hertford North to Stevenage in being withdrawn, despite it first being reported at the back end of last year.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 2:11 pm

Just looked at the agenda for the DMC meeting on 19th July and the Bircherley Green Shopping Centre Redevelopment application is not listed. I suppose there is still time for this to be added but it looks like it has been delayed. Extra documents continue to be added from consultees so it may be that these are having to be evaluated and/or assimilated into the plans. Peyton Place all over again!

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 3:11 pm

Steve wrote: Cheshunt
Drinking in the "Rockdale Pub", no doubt.

http://m.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/che ... story.html

Apologies for veering slightly off topic

Sniffer Dog

Post by Sniffer Dog » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 3:06 pm

The next planned development management committee meeting at East Herts for 16 August has been cancelled with the next listed meeting being 13 September...so unless another meeting is suddenly scheduled Waitrose will have closed its doors by the time the future of Bircherley Green even makes it onto an agenda.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:53 pm

Bircherley Green is set to be decided at the October committee meeting.