Waitrose Moving to Van Hage

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Louis M
Re: Waitrose rumour

Post by Louis M » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 6:13 pm

VH Facebook Page.

Special Announcement

On numerous occasions recently we have been advised by local customers that there are rumours circulating regarding the future of Van Hage Garden Centre, some of these rumours speculate that the business has been sold or merged. These are untrue.

We have been operating for over 60 years and can assure you that the Board of Directors and Van Hage Family fully intend to continue trading as an independent, privately owned business.

In these highly competitive times we have been looking at options to extend and expand the facilities here and have been considering plans to secure a future investment programme. Potential new and exciting developments will be published shortly when plans are finalised and we are in a position to move forward.

We hope this helps to clarify the position and whilst recent gossip has been about us closing, we are delighted that your support produced record sales in December when we were pleased to provide skating for 55,000 visitors on our Christmas Ice Rink.

We thank you for your past custom, and hope to have the pleasure of serving you for many years to come.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 8:37 pm

I don't recall reading anywhere that VH were closing, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Donostia

Post by Donostia » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 9:43 pm

No I haven't read it anywhere either , but I've heard it said many times , so I presume they are responding to the Chinese whispers .

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sat 25 Jan, 2014 3:02 pm

Surely VH is the most successful private business in the area. they must literally rake the cash in and not know what to do with it all!

Mrs T

Post by Mrs T » Sat 25 Jan, 2014 9:15 pm

I've never ever heard that VH we're going to close, and I've lived here a very very very long time and worked ther briefly when I were a young un!

Donostia

Post by Donostia » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 6:24 pm

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 1:42 am

Nothing there to suggest that the Hertford store would close (not that you implied it).

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 7:40 pm

agreed, i see no reason waitrose hertford would close either. but granted it is a valid concern some are making.

I do see this as a massive failure by the vh management to capitalise on their once amazing place - it's a total sell out to do this. ( and yes no doubt they'll make a lot of money from this, so perhaps it is wise after all )

Ted Badger

Post by Ted Badger » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 11:41 am

codek2 wrote:agreed, i see no reason waitrose hertford would close either...
As this is a rumour thread rather than anything based in fact, I can contribute that I thought their lease expired this year and they were considering alternatives to renewing it.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 12:44 pm

Ted Badger wrote:
codek2 wrote:agreed, i see no reason waitrose hertford would close either...
As this is a rumour thread rather than anything based in fact, I can contribute that I thought their lease expired this year and they were considering alternatives to renewing it.
Their lease does not expire this year or next. This is fact, not rumour (so possibly off topic ;) ).