Two Less Empty Premises in Maidenhead Street

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Steve
Project Leader
Two Less Empty Premises in Maidenhead Street

Post by Steve » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:46 am

I suspect The Cow may be getting a call from planning officers.
prime.jpg
prime.jpg (94.04KiB)Viewed 13145 times
shaken cow.jpg
shaken cow.jpg (103.49KiB)Viewed 13145 times

arty

Re: Two Less Empty Premises in Maidenhead Street

Post by arty » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 12:28 pm

Whilst it's great to see two premises in dingy old Maidenhead Street filled, I cannot believe that simple economics could suggest that two new eateries will be sustainable in the long term. Has anyone done a list or counted the number of such establishments now around?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sun 01 Feb, 2015 4:40 pm

how many of them have closed though arty?

The only one I can think of that failed is the cornish pasty shop. But that did last long enough, suspect they still made money on it.

Mudlarks was only ever temporary in the first place, and seems to have become permanent!

And bebo is a fantastic addition to the town, anyone knowing the wgc branch knows it's an excellent place. where else can you get waffles with bacon and maple syrup! :-)

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sun 01 Feb, 2015 7:26 pm

Remember Cafe Yum (where Galos is now)?

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 11:16 am

I think you mean: "Two fewer empty premises" although it looks like there is now less empty space...

Apologies for the pedantry ;)

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 1:05 pm

I stand corrected :)
newcomer wrote:I think you mean: "Two fewer empty premises" although it looks like there is now less empty space...

Apologies for the pedantry ;)

mdja

Post by mdja » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 2:23 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:Remember Cafe Yum (where Galos is now)?
I used to pop in to Cafe Yum. I always had the impression they ran a strangely uneconomical business model... Despite being relatively small with a limited menu (coffee and sandwiches?) there were always at least 4 people working there. Even with 4 people it could take them up to 20 minutes to make a sandwich.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 5:34 pm

mdja wrote:
Darcy Sarto wrote:Remember Cafe Yum (where Galos is now)?
I used to pop in to Cafe Yum. I always had the impression they ran a strangely uneconomical business model... Despite being relatively small with a limited menu (coffee and sandwiches?) there were always at least 4 people working there. Even with 4 people it could take them up to 20 minutes to make a sandwich.
One of the four people's role was to be surly and unhelpful - I believe this was the proprietor (shame we can't access the old forum any more).

I think this was the fundamental flaw in the business model - running a small business, hands on, in a customer facing role when you can't abide their annoying demands and have difficulty in hiding your annoyance. It could be quite comical if you weren't directly on the receiving end :lol:

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 6:07 pm

Hertford Cameras anyone?
Darcy Sarto wrote: I think this was the fundamental flaw in the business model - running a small business, hands on, in a customer facing role when you can't abide their annoying demands and have difficulty in hiding your annoyance. It could be quite comical if you weren't directly on the receiving end :lol:

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 6:51 pm

I know it lasted longer than most but I always felt like an inconvenience to the staff in the Decorated Room, hence it was never first on my list for cards and gifts.