RIP The Blackbirds

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Hugo Kane
Re: RIP The Blackbirds

Post by Hugo Kane » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 11:24 pm

It looks like the same owners as The Waterside Inn in Ware which is actually very nice.

mdja

Post by mdja » Tue 10 May, 2016 7:57 am

"Independent-feel pubs" eh. That's the best euphemism for chain pub I have seen.

Golden

Post by Golden » Fri 18 Nov, 2016 8:37 pm

One important detail for the 'kids' if they're let back in - DJ till 2am Friday & Saturday! Loving some of the comments on the facebook page

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sat 19 Nov, 2016 8:13 am

looks depressing, with a sub-Weatherspoon menu from 10 years ago (real bottom of the freezer) and Carling on tap; like a bad golf course

not sure what was wrong with a before - it was an honest rowdy boozer

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 10:21 am

Called in for a pint Tuesday afternoon to check out the ambience after the refurb.

Unfortunately there wasn't any. Staff nice enough, but the decor is your standard chain pub style that they all go for these days.

As for the food - again, nothing different - steak Tuesday, curry club Wednesday, fish Friday etc.

I did laugh though when the chef came out of the kitchen, went into the courtyard to make a phone call and put his other hand down the inside of his joggy bottoms and scratched himself furiously for the duration of the call - about 2 minutes. :o

When he had finished scratching his itchy bits he went straight back into the kitchen and not via the toilet!!!!! :lol:

Ha ha ha

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 3:15 pm

monkeyman1974 wrote:not sure what was wrong with a before - it was an honest rowdy boozer
It didn't fit with the rest of their portfolio - the same reason Benskins sold it in the 90s.

It's now profit centre formulated by marketing people to fit comfortably into the accountants' spreadsheet.

A quick visit to the Blackbirds web page on Stonegate's website is unsurprising:

"Modern, independent-feel high-street pubs – open for breakfast and trading late, these sites provide a premium food and drink experience."
Is that really what they think people want? A premium food and drink experience?

http://www.stonegatepubs.com/blackbirds-hertford

Pubcos don't do boozers. They're interested in customers, not communities.

Vote leave.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 10:00 pm

"premium food and drink experience"... :?

Hunters Chicken

Hugo Kane

Post by Hugo Kane » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 5:48 pm

I must say the Seabream en Papilotte sounds very nice.

I wonder what it's like in reality.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 8:24 am

Thread resurrection !

I went in on Monday for dinner having never been there before but someone close to me started working in there (so I am declaring my bias early).

I was pleasantly surprised. I had a fairly low opinion of this pub before and no idea why as I had never been inside, but it was actually quite nice. The décor was very nice and it was all very clean. I admit it was incredibly quiet but they had been very busy all day.

The staff were lovely and welcoming but we were with the new member of staff so that might have swayed it. I would definitely go back although possibly not for a late one on Friday and Saturday as I am a bit beyond that these days. The menu was good for a pub and the food was tasty. I work next to another pub in this chain and the menus are completely different. The Blackbirds does do food but it is a pub not a restaurant so I need to judge it accordingly.