Hertford Secondary Schools

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
KatyBusby
Re: Hertford Secondary Schools

Post by KatyBusby » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 7:37 pm

gemipicorn wrote:The league tables only show the end result, not how pupils progress through the school. As you may know all pupils are given expected ratings at the end of primary based on their sats (I think). It's very easy to assume that if a school produces a higher number of A grade students it is a better school than one which has more B grade students. But if the A grade students were expected to get A whereas the B grade students were expected to get Cs then you could argue that the B grade students did much better as they got higher than expected (if that makes sense). It's all a matter of context and looking at the whole picture, if you see what I mean.
I couldn't agree more gemipicorn, thank you! (Can we be friends when i move? :lol: ) I guess I will just continue my property search based on houses that I like and that I can afford, and try to be reasonably near a couple of them so that we will hopefully have enough options. It's still very daunting though! I do however feel very reassured by everything that's been said here, although I'm disappointed I can't get any PMs as I'm intrigued by the experiences of the parent above.

Ne'mind. :?

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 9:50 pm

KatyBusby wrote: I couldn't agree more gemipicorn, thank you! (Can we be friends when i move? :lol: )
I'm glad you agree, even more I'm amazed you understood what I was on about, I thought I made a right pigs ear of explaining my point :D
I could always do with more friends, although you might change your mind by the time you get here and seen more of my posts :lol:
KatyBusby wrote: I guess I will just continue my property search based on houses that I like and that I can afford, and try to be reasonably near a couple of them so that we will hopefully have enough options.
I think the best criteria are always affordability and feel good factor, after all who wants to live in a house that they can't afford and don't particularly like, it will be your home when all said and done. You should find that all of Hertford is covered by all of the schools so proximity shouldn't be a problem.
KatyBusby wrote: It's still very daunting though! I do however feel very reassured by everything that's been said here, although I'm disappointed I can't get any PMs as I'm intrigued by the experiences of the parent above.

Ne'mind. :?
If it's like the recommendations section of the forum you may only need to get your post count up, admin could confirm that.

Donostia

Post by Donostia » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:59 pm

KatyBusby wrote:
I have a nearly 8 year old boy and a nearly 10 year old girl, so single sex schools are not an option.....
Don't rule out the single option so readily , many a Hertford family have had a daughter at Presdales and a son at Richard Hale , local buses and trains are safe and the majority of children make their way to school independently .

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:03 am

Great to see that Sele school is getting a good rep.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:51 pm

Can I echo gemipicorn and not just because I want to be friends with Katy too.

My son's primary school (not in Hertford) had a good reputation for handling pupils with special educational needs so it had more than the average. One particular pupil who was there at the same time as my son, was severely affected and was not expected to get very good results at SATS. This child eventually achieved nearly the same grades as my son (who was predicted well so although we were proud of him we kinda expected it). When this child got these excellent grades, the whole school (small school) stood up and applauded him.

I can still cry when I think of the school's response to the achievements.

On paper, my son got the better grades and he did progress and got to the top, (I really do not want to take anything away from my son's acheivements) However this other child's performance was arguably better.

His mother chose the school well. Go for the school that you think your children will thrive at as that is better for them. League tables are relevant but they only tell a very small part of the story. Sele does not have the same standings in the league tables as Richard Hale and Simon Balle but it is not a worse school, far from it, it is a different school and should be judged on it's own merits.

P.s. ignore the catchment area, Hertford is Hertford.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 2:54 pm

We are extremely lucky and I would echo what the others said about looking around. Most schools are very receptive to this - even outside open evenings. The only thing I would add is that if your child is at all musical or would like to be musical even, you need to visit Simon Balle. Unbelievable opportunities, facilities and opportunities for musicians of all types there :D

KatyBusby

Post by KatyBusby » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 5:47 pm

Kateg28 wrote:Can I echo gemipicorn and not just because I want to be friends with Katy too.
I am totally up for this. I was sitting with my North London friend just today trying to convince her to move too as I don't know anyone in Hertford yet. :lol:

I'm interested to hear of the musical aspect at SB. My daughter had piano lessons for a while as did my son, but both stopped. It's a real shame as I'm a bit of a recording artist (independent, unsigned, probably too old to be signed and no wish to be signed) and their Dad is musician extraordinaire, but it seems that musical drive may have missed them. Maybe it's just what they need. :?

Who knows? Either way, I'm feeling a lot happier about... well... just about everything actually, and when the time comes I will judge based on where they seem to 'fit' best. Does anyone per chance know about teenage drug taking in Hertford? I get the impression it isn't quite the problem that it is here as whenever I've visited I've been amazed by the fact that they stand around looking a lot like London 'youts' except for the fact that they are dressed quite nicely, smiling and drinking Costa coffee! It's a huge drive behind my move (that and the fact that unless you're extremely wealthy or a tourist London really is only a visitor town rather than an enjoy-life town). I realise that most young people will experiment at some point or another, but it just seems to be rife in London.

us6

Post by us6 » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:17 pm

Sorry I can't give you more info about the school situation here but I prefer not to go into details on a public forum. I have two children and the older one is in year 11. Some of the kids in the class do drink/smoke marijuana, at Hartham and other locations on the weekend. There is also a group of kids who DON'T so it is much like any where else. I would advise kids not to go to Hartham in the dark and they can avoid that. There are loads of clubs and activities to get involved in and I would challenge any teenager who says that there is "nothing to do". Good luck with your move, I hope you get the school places you would like and as another poster says, don't be put off by splitting schools. It does work for loads of families, and there are just a few days of differing holidays.

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:25 am

I agree with us6. There is no doubt that drugs are around just like most places, but it doesn't seem prolific and easy to avoid.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 9:57 am

There are definitely drugs available in Hertford but that is true of any town. The reason I know they are available is because I have been told. I have not seen any evidence myself and I live very near the road rumoured to be The Place to get drugs in Hertford.

I have a year 11 as well and he has told me he has been offered drugs once but turned them down mainly for two reasons. One, how devastated I would be and secondly, he does not have time. A lot of kids get into drugs through boredom but my son (and my stepson who lives in North Herts) are not bored as they are simply too busy with sports and activities. Wednesdays, Fridays and half the Sundays are the only days my son is not doing activities!. There are lots of sports and leisure facilities available here or nearby, we are very lucky.

Thriving rugby and football teams, cricket, judo, canoeing, sailing and rowing (down at Waltham cross), huge amounts of equestrian opportunities, dance, stage school, music schools and studios (you need to look at PlaySomething in next door town, Ware, music shop with holiday academies and stuff) .

There are probably lots more as well.

And we have our own castle!