Hartham Common tennis courts to be replaced with all-weather

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Razor
Hartham Common tennis courts to be replaced with all-weather

Post by Razor » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:26 pm

I read this in the online Mercury yesterday

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/H ... 144335.htm" target="_blank

Personally I would prefer these to remain as tennis courts as I think there is enough provision already for football and as far as I know these are the only open-to-all courts in the locality (not everyone will want to become members of the club next door) and I think it would be a great shame to lose them. You can email the council with your opinion either way (they are seeking comments up to 9th May) if you are interested.

PS If this should be in "Sport" please feel free to move Admin.

Sudi

Re: Hartham Common tennis courts to be replaced with all-wea

Post by Sudi » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 7:07 pm

You pretty much echo my own thoughts on reading this report. Too much football already.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:00 pm

But ,if they are looking for something that will be used a lot of the time and have quite a demand for in this area then the 3G pitches is probably the way forward.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 4:49 pm

My email to them:

Good Morning,

I am writing regarding the proposal to convert the tennis courts into 3 x 5 aside football pitches.

Whilst I applaud any investment in our local facilities, I do not support the proposal to remove the council tennis courts.

As a member of EO Hartham leisure centre, I made full use of the Tennis Courts last year, which were often full. I would like to highlight however that the entry system needs to be improved. The code would often remain the same for weeks on end, enabling non members, mostly Kids to use the facilities FOC. The courts are never policed, which could be very off putting for actual members looking to avoid confrontations.
The Tennis courts are also very poorly advertised by the leisure centre, something that is a benefit for the ones who know about them, however not if this results in them being taken away.

Football can be played anywhere and in Hartham, we are fortunate enough to have plenty of space to do so. The same cannot be said for tennis, where we require specific facilities.

Many thanks,

Louis

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 5:21 pm

Unfortunately,it is not the fact that football can be played anywhere. It is the fact that in the winter months there are limited facilities where football can be played in the evening. Most football teams in the area train in midweek,when you consider all the youth teams and adult teams in the area,there are hundreds and there are limited facilities that can cater for all these teams.I myself have used the courts,but apart from June,July,and August,I feel that they are underused. In the article,it does say that courts will still be available at the Tennis club,and I wonder if some arrangement with them could be made.