Site Admin
Re: Hertford Mosque Planning Application

Post by admin » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 5:49 pm

Please stay on topic :)

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 9:26 pm

Steve wrote:
Darcy Sarto wrote:If anyone chooses to meet (for religious purposes or not) in a place where meetings already take place and/or that's what the premises are for then why would anyone need planning consent?
Your comments confuse me. The [claimed] planning application is for a [new] mosque to be built. It does not relate to any existing premises or arrangements.
I thought someone mentioned Shire Hall - I too am easily confused.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 9:43 pm

My apologies. This was a rumour mentioned to me last year and I do have to emphasise that it was relayed to me by someone (forget who) who found the whole thing pretty stupid anyway but had heard this story from a third party. Anyone who could get the idea that Shire Hall could become a mosque is obviously on something stronger than the glass of vin de plonk I am drinking now. This kind of misinformation just keeps on coming. Sorry if I mislead you or anyone else.

But as an aside I think that when the story originally broke about underground tunnels etc etc it was reported that the Hertford branch of the Knights Templar still held meetings in Shire Hall. Perhaps it was just the Jane Austen Appreciation Society making too much noise rehearsing for Strictly.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 9:37 am

Indeed. We all know that the Knights Templar must surely now meet in weatherspoons. Where else?

:lol:

Runs away before Admin shoots me for going off topic again..

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 6:49 pm

As long as there is somewhere for us Pastafarians to meet ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

dennismoore

Post by dennismoore » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 9:01 pm

There's even an online petition now with 130 signatures!

The 'Spotted in Hertford' Facebook page is urging people to sign it. Some of the comments on there are appalling. Apparently Hertford is on the slippery slope to Sharia Law... and "London, Birmingham, Luton and Bradford" are already "Sharia law run areas"!!

Where do these idiots come from? Surely not Hertford?

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 12:32 am

Yes they are idiots (of the more unpleasant fascist, bully-boy (and girl) type).

There are only 130 of them prepared to put pen to paper out of a population of 28,000 so I wouldn't get too bent about the bigot fringe quite yet.

If you come across one of them ask them why the town appears to venerate religious zealots who travelled to foreign lands to enforce their narrow view of religion on the local population (that would be the Templars).... ;) ;)

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 9:07 pm

That's a good comparison.
The attitude of Christians hundreds of years ago is unfortunately, very similar to to a sizeable minority of Muslims now.
I'm an atheist by the way, so not sticking up for christians.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 2:26 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:Yes they are idiots (of the more unpleasant fascist, bully-boy (and girl) type).

There are only 130 of them prepared to put pen to paper out of a population of 28,000 so I wouldn't get too bent about the bigot fringe quite yet.

If you come across one of them ask them why the town appears to venerate religious zealots who travelled to foreign lands to enforce their narrow view of religion on the local population (that would be the Templars).... ;) ;)
Or try asking if they understand the difference between Sunni and Shia, and the role of Wahhibism. Chances are you'll just get a blank look.

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 10:12 am

dennismoore wrote:There's even an online petition now with 130 signatures!

The 'Spotted in Hertford' Facebook page is urging people to sign it. Some of the comments on there are appalling. Apparently Hertford is on the slippery slope to Sharia Law... and "London, Birmingham, Luton and Bradford" are already "Sharia law run areas"!!

Where do these idiots come from? Surely not Hertford?
Fox News.....?