Bengeo Byelection

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Marilyn
Re: Bengeo Byelection

Post by Marilyn » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:27 am

You can't really say it is representative as I have no doubt in my mind that a great many people didn't bother to turn out.

It will have no bearing on the full elections when they come round and we have a full set of candidates.

That is about 1,000 voters actually turned out, what is the number actually on the register? I suspect that will be a very small percentage.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:21 pm

I never said it was representative, i said IF

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 1:07 pm

Turnout was 15.9%. So you could say the winning candidate has about as much legitimacy as our local PCC.

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 1:24 pm

so if my calcs are right then each candidate including the winner got 5.3% of the vote... a ringing endorsement!. Perhaps Public (town hall style) meetings where all candidates debate the issues would be a way forward?

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 1:53 pm

Steve wrote:Turnout was 15.9%. So you could say the winning candidate has about as much legitimacy as our local PCC.
That's a strange opinion. What would turnout have to be for you to consider them legitimate? Would you suggest that the winner decline the post due to low turnout?

james

Post by james » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 3:25 pm

Joby wrote:
Steve wrote:Turnout was 15.9%. So you could say the winning candidate has about as much legitimacy as our local PCC.
That's a strange opinion. What would turnout have to be for you to consider them legitimate? Would you suggest that the winner decline the post due to low turnout?
Doing the arithmetic, if the winner received 5.3% of the vote, this means that 94.7% of the electorate don't endorse the winner. I guess you can only say it becomes truly legitimate once the winning candidate receives 50% of the electorate's vote. It's this low turn out that favours the lunatic parties such as UKIP with their small in number but very enthusiastic supporters. For everyone else, apathy towards the status quo seems to be the reason.

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 4:28 pm

james wrote: Doing the arithmetic, if the winner received 5.3% of the vote, this means that 94.7% of the electorate don't endorse the winner.
I'm not sure I agree with the "5.3% of the vote" bit - the winner received 34% of the vote, as only votes cast contribute towards the result. Those who don't cast their vote don't deserve to be considered part of the vote, especially not when it comes to casting doubt on the legitimacy of the winner.
james wrote:It's this low turn out that favours the lunatic parties such as UKIP with their small in number but very enthusiastic supporters.
I'd agree with you there. It's quite heartening to know that, even with this favour, UKIP still came third last night.

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 5:16 pm

sad to say I didn't vote last night. None of the literature I received from all parties in my home appealed to me at all.. So nil points as far as I am concerned. I don't consider it an indicator of things to come, but my apathy is worrying. I am normally good at voting to have my voice counted, but when the parties sent the literature I realised none of it related to how I feel, work or live... I vote at General Elections, they are important but as I go on I realise that whatever they all say they go back on what they say and then take on the views of rival parties.. so who knows what I will be voting for in a General Election.......

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 6:45 pm

Have to say the fact that it was on as Wednesday & (for me) a different venue probably didn't help what was always going to be a small turnout. O K details on the voting card but even that didn't get delivered until last week. Polling station in Port Vale deserted when I got there...

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 7:13 pm

codek2 wrote:I never said it was representative, i said IF
Apologies