"Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
"Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Post by Steve » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 3:04 pm

I think there must have been a mixup at the print works this week. The first mention of either Hertford or Ware doesn't appear until page 11 (unless you count Haileybury). Most of the coverage is for Cheshunt. I'm amazed anyone bothers with the "local" paper any more.

Update: Whilst I was in the newsagent I checked the content of all three "local" editions - Hertford & Ware, Hoddesdon & Broxbourne and Cheshunt & Waltham Cross. All three were identical.

commentator

Re: "Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Post by commentator » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 5:36 pm

Totally agree Steve. I paid £1 for this and I felt cheated. If I wanted news about Cheshunt, Waltham Cross or Waltham Abbey (which isn't even in Herts) I would have bought that edition. It's like buying a box of Cornflakes and finding Rice Krispies inside. Perhaps trading standards should investigate. Won't be buying the Mercury again.

Sniffer Dog

Post by Sniffer Dog » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:52 pm

If it’s not already lining the bottom of the hamster cage, turn to page 32 and, if you don’t lose the will to live, read what I assume is a review (missing its headline) of Sfizio restaurant. Spelling, grammar and the utter amateur guff itself are all a disgrace and an example of why the local newspaper industry is in decline. It’s not that readers don’t want a local product; it’s because the companies that own them think that it’s acceptable to charge £1 to insult our intelligence with this garbage. Must stop buying it too – as you can see it just makes me angry once a week.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 8:43 pm

Same story today I'm afraid.
Seems to be about Broxbourne and Waltham Cross

commentator

Post by commentator » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 11:10 am

Flicked through a copy while in Sainsburys and noticed that hardly any estate agents are advertising with them so it seems that it is not only readers who have given up on it. I cannot believe those businesses who still advertise in the Mercury feel they are getting value for money.

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 3:06 pm

commentator wrote:Flicked through a copy while in Sainsburys and noticed that hardly any estate agents are advertising with them so it seems that it is not only readers who have given up on it. I cannot believe those businesses who still advertise in the Mercury feel they are getting value for money.
When I was moving house a few years ago, the estate agent explaned the relative cost and effectiveness of advertising in The Mercury and Rightmove and is was a magnitude of diference in both, not in the Mercury's favour!

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:11 pm

I didn't think the Mercury could surpass the headline that exposed nine Hertford and Ware eateries with a one star food hygiene rating in as much 8 were in Ware and one in Hertford.

However in order to redress the balance today I read on line that 13 bars and pubs in Hertford have achieved a five star food hygiene rating. My eyes scanned down to find my favourite hostelry and realised that the Mercury had entered a time warp. Pubs checked with date:
White Hart 2014, Salisbry and Baroosh 2016, Cowper Arms 2014, Jungle Bar 2014, Duncombe and Six Templars January 2016, Haig 2007, Old Cross 2009, Stonehouse 2011, Woolpack 2015.

This is really up to date information allowing me to choose where to order my burger in a bun with fried onion rings.

I prefer the old days when I was never mis-quoted and found myself out of favour with all sorts of people. :D

Old Charm

Post by Old Charm » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 3:38 pm

Todays Mercury headlines. New houses in 106 Ware Rd, no they are not.If they knew anything about the area they would know it is further up the road where I think F.C.Greens the Garage used to be, not as they say an old car wash! But at least Hertford & Ware made the front page.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:58 pm

Old Charm wrote:Todays Mercury headlines. New houses in 106 Ware Rd, no they are not.If they knew anything about the area they would know it is further up the road where I think F.C.Greens the Garage used to be, not as they say an old car wash! But at least Hertford & Ware made the front page.
Hertford & Ware also made it to the front page of the [alleged] Hoddesdon & Broxbourne edition. And the Cheshunt & Waltham Cross edition. In fact there's a fair amount of Hertford and Ware news in all three identical "editions".

commentator

Post by commentator » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 10:08 am

I was speaking to the manager of one of the newsagents in the town centre today and he told me that sales of the Mercury in his shop had dropped by almost three quarters over the past couple of years so it may not be around much longer.