Changes to Recycling

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
gemipicorn
Changes to Recycling

Post by gemipicorn » Tue 08 Apr, 2014 6:38 pm

Anyone else noticed the changes being made on the "Easter and May Collection Dates" card?

I have only just noticed that they can now take caddy liners - so long as they have a specific compostable logo on them BUT they are also going to stop taking plastics bags, carrier bags, plastic liners, food bags, plastic packaging on food punnets, cling film and postal packaging etc in the blue bins. :roll:

Marilyn

Re: Changes to Recycling

Post by Marilyn » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 8:37 pm

I think they will make it so confusing a lot of people will get it wrong. For instance how can they know that they are that specific caddy liner?

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 9:48 pm

gemipicorn wrote:Anyone else noticed the changes being made on the "Easter and May Collection Dates" card?

I have only just noticed that they can now take caddy liners - so long as they have a specific compostable logo on them BUT they are also going to stop taking plastics bags, carrier bags, plastic liners, food bags, plastic packaging on food punnets, cling film and postal packaging etc in the blue bins. :roll:
This is going to be difficult. At the moment we are filling (I.e. Full) each bin over a 2 week period. However, most of the bulk in the blue bin is plastic packaging for e.g. fruit punnets and other plastic packaging. With these rules the balance has shifted significantly.

We seem to be going backwards and not forwards on what we're allowed to recycle.

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 10:37 pm

Michael wrote:
gemipicorn wrote:Anyone else noticed the changes being made on the "Easter and May Collection Dates" card?

This is going to be difficult. At the moment we are filling (I.e. Full) each bin over a 2 week period. However, most of the bulk in the blue bin is plastic packaging for e.g. fruit punnets and other plastic packaging. With these rules the balance has shifted significantly.

We seem to be going backwards and not forwards on what we're allowed to recycle.
My thoughts exactly!

Taxing

Post by Taxing » Thu 10 Apr, 2014 7:42 am

The way I read it, plastic packaging such as cartons (ie the bulky stuff) will still go in the blue bin. It's only plastic wrapping, carrier bags, cling film etc that won't, so it sholdn't really make much difference to volume/bulk going in the blue bin.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 10 Apr, 2014 8:28 am

Yes I think its only the pastic wrapping round the punnets they won't take, they will still take the bulky stuff, at least that's how I read it!

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 10 Apr, 2014 9:12 am

I keep re-reading my leaflet and it states no plastic supermarket bags and food bags also the bags that your magazines or newspapers might get wrapped in too!!!! I think this is stupid this has to go to landfill????? I have packets of tissues in my handbag and although there is a recycling symbol on it I read the leaflet and it seems to be saying that all they want is "quality" items and not wrappings or bags or any sort, around food or otherwise, the bags your cornflakes etc come in too! Shame on you Council members, this is not going to bring down the size of landfill but increase it for no purpose... I would welcome someone from EHDC to get on this forum and explain why because if this is the case then its now time to get the supermarket and food manufacturers to use recyclable or biodegradeable linings/coverings isn't it. This is a huge change to recycling policy and I think its cos it will cost them more to accept it rather than anything else... I think there needs to be a proper explanation as you can see from this thread that all of us consumers have interpreted the wording in the leaflet differently...

Joby

Post by Joby » Fri 11 Apr, 2014 9:53 am

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Fri 11 Apr, 2014 10:55 am

Fairly "interesting" program on R4 this week about Waste/Recycling etc

"Political diarist Chris Mullin became fascinated with how we manage our refuse whilst an Environment Minister. Now he goes on a quest to discover what really happens to our rubbish, and meets the recyclers making millions from the waste we throw away."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03zy4hn" target="_blank

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Fri 11 Apr, 2014 11:51 am

Joby, thanks for the link, but this has been superceeded by the leaflet stuck on the bins in the past week !!! This is the point... So its not worth referring to.... Sorry