Women's Cycling Tour

Discussion on local sporting fixtures and clubs
Joby
Women's Cycling Tour

Post by Joby » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 5:08 pm

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... -s-guide-0" target="_blank

Stage 4 (Saturday 10th May) is Cheshunt to WGC and passes through Hertford Heath and Hertford (with QoMs in Hertford and Digswell). A chance to see some elite cyclists - Marianne Vos and Lizzie Armitstead are both competing.
Last edited by Steve on Sat 26 Apr, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Amended title to include "cycling"

Joby

Re: Women's Cycling Tour

Post by Joby » Sat 26 Apr, 2014 7:28 am

More details on the stage 4 route here...the first QOM is up Port Hill.

http://thewomenstour.co.uk/stages/stage4/index.php

james

Post by james » Sat 26 Apr, 2014 2:34 pm

Lack of any promotion for this by the council is embarrassing. Here's an opportunity to get lots of people into the town centre for the biggest sporting event that's ever happened in Hertford and it's been completely wasted.

Joby

Post by Joby » Sat 26 Apr, 2014 9:39 pm

james wrote:Lack of any promotion for this by the council is embarrassing. Here's an opportunity to get lots of people into the town centre for the biggest sporting event that's ever happened in Hertford and it's been completely wasted.
Indeed - I only realised it was heading through Hertford when I took a more detailed look at the route in order to work out where to go and watch.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 1:10 pm

I knew nothing about it until I saw in this weeks Mercury. Not in to cycling so no reason to have seen it. Thanks for the link at least the roads will not be closed all day but just on a rolling road block. Must remember to check the times!

Joby

Post by Joby » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:33 am

Marilyn wrote:I knew nothing about it until I saw in this weeks Mercury. Not in to cycling so no reason to have seen it. Thanks for the link at least the roads will not be closed all day but just on a rolling road block. Must remember to check the times!
It rolls into Hertford shortly before midday - from Hertford Heath down London Road, along the A414, then through Parliament Square to Old Cross up Port Hill and out of town along the B158 to Wadesmill.

james

Post by james » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:10 pm

So I had a mini rant at the council over the weekend and they've now put a couple of links up on the Hertford Town Council and Go Hertford websites.

It also says that there will be some stuff on in Parliament Square, including some exercise bikes put on by Hartham Leisure Centre because that's exactly like riding a real bike, isn't it? :| There's some harpists and and a display of wares from Highway Cycles. And that's yer lot.

No kids races
No extra food and drink
No displays from local cycling clubs
No extra bike racks for all the cycling fans
No extension to the farmers market which will finish at the usual time of 1pm.
No hill climb up Port Hill for anyone that fancies a go.

But then the council doesn't give a **** about cycling as a mode of transport, so why should I have expected them to give a **** about elite level racing.

At some point though some signs will go up on the A414 advising motorists that the road will be closed for a couple of hours on a Saturday lunchtime. Ironically, it will only be then that people may actually realise that a bike race is happening in town that day.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 11:58 pm

Some harpists ... aka ...

http://www.schrodingersstrings.co.uk" target="_blank

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:01 am

james wrote: No kids races
No extra food and drink
No displays from local cycling clubs
No extra bike racks for all the cycling fans
No extension to the farmers market which will finish at the usual time of 1pm.
No hill climb up Port Hill for anyone that fancies a go.

But then the council doesn't give a **** about cycling as a mode of transport, so why should I have expected them to give a **** about elite level racing.
To be honest that's quite a big ask. Something like that would take a fair bit of organising and the town council have their work cut out organising what they do. They may not have even been aware of the event other than at short notice.

Joby

Post by Joby » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 1:03 pm

So...where to stand and watch the tour? Tempted as I am to head into town and enjoy the lavish entertainment laid on, I think I'll park myself at the top of Port Hill and cheer the riders up the first QOM stage. Might wander down into town afterwards.