Proposed parking fee changes at council car parks.

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
trish
Re: Proposed parking fee changes at council car parks.

Post by trish » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 3:59 pm

It could see more cars parked on the bend by Ruby's, which is already a hazard and,in my little opinion, should be double yellow lines.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 9:51 am

It might be disastrous for the roads around the town centre without a controlled parking zone. The difference after 6.00pm is amazing but might just be a temporary respite until the night time crowd arrive :(

laurasleight

Post by laurasleight » Tue 25 Mar, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi all,

£1 might not seem a lot to people who are only visiting Hertford for the odd night out but it's terrible for residents! I own and rent out a flat on Fore Street which has no allocated parking so my tenants have to use the car park on Gascoyne Way. The council won't issue residents' permits (despite allowing them in other Hertford car parks like Hartham and Port Vale) so people in my building have to buy daily parking tickets costing up to £1,400 a year!! These new charges could add another £260 a year, it's ridiculous. I don't think they've considered residents at all.

My husband and I lived in the flat until last summer when we could no longer manage the stairs and parking situation with a young baby. I contacted the council repeatedly to request help with parking or a residents' permit and was told that there was 'no budget available'. Yet they have now reportedly managed to find £30k of emergency budget to bring in these new charges which will have minimal benefit to shoppers (in my opinion) and huge disadvantages for residents and local businesses.

If anyone agrees with me, please sign my petition against the charges at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fairparkingforall" target="_blank.

Many thanks,

Laura

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Fri 11 Apr, 2014 1:40 pm

This in Mercury re evening parking charges:
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/N ... 103738.htm

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 21 May, 2014 1:14 am

The parking consultation ends on 30th May.

You can submit your comments online at http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/ehparkingchanges" target="_blank.

What worries me about the evening car park charges is that it'll mean people will avoid the charges by parking in every and any street they can. Yellow lines don't apply after 6 so street immediately surrounding the town centre could find themselves inundated with parked cars, causing obstruction and congestion.

There's also the issue of local voluntary and community organisations and clubs that regularly meet in the town centre at night. Their members will find themselves facing a significant increase in the cost of participating in activities that benefit the local community.

The proposals are poorly thought through and short-sighted, driven purely by financial considerations without any thought on the wider impact on the community and evening economy.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed 21 May, 2014 6:17 am

Aren't double yellows applicable 24 hours a day and as part of the proposals, they are intending to enforce this - as they already do?

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 21 May, 2014 8:36 am

Double yellows apply all day but single yellows only apply during the day so evening patrons can park on them after 6.30.

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 21 May, 2014 8:45 am

Just to clarify I believe that double yellows apply at all times but you should check the plate to confirm what times the single yellow lines operate as they're not all the same.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed 21 May, 2014 9:45 am

The more I think about this, the more I actually believe it is a good idea. :idea:

It is a real pain when you have to pop into town to do something quickly - go the post office, dry cleaners, pick up a birthday card etc. and you have to pay 80p when you are only going to park for 10 minutes or so. So that has to be a positive and will encourage people to use in-town shops when they want to be quick, rather than going to out of town stores.

I can't see that the £1 at night charge is going to have a negative impact. People already park on the single yellows, it is illegal to park on the double yellows anyway and those will be enforced (as they already are), and the £1 charge in the car parks will off-set the lost revenue from the free half hour period earlier in the day. I can't see that it will stop people coming into town to drink / eat etc.

The only downside is for in-town residents, but if you choose to live within a city/town centre in a place without dedicated parking then it is always going to be an issue and is surely something that one takes into account when choosing to live in the centre (as I have done previously).

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 21 May, 2014 11:36 am

> Yellow lines don't apply after 6

Apologies, I was referring to single yellow lines, not double.