Hertford Parkrun - Starts 11th Oct

Discussion on local sporting fixtures and clubs
codek2
Hertford Parkrun - Starts 11th Oct

Post by codek2 » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi, the Hertford parkrun starts on 11th Oct. It's a single lap around the stunning panshanger park. Starts at thieves lane carpark, time to be confirmed, possibly 9am.

Will appear on the parkrun site soon!

Dan

muddy

Re: Hertford Parkrun - Starts 11th Oct

Post by muddy » Tue 26 Aug, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Dan,

I've done a few park runs, Hinchinbrooke & Wimpole Hall in the last year. Had always hoped Hertford would start one, but didn't think of Panshanger - most other park runs have a cafe nearby with public toilets. How will the toilets issue be sorted out as there are no public facilities in or near Panshanger?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 7:38 am

i must admit I don't know, but why do you need toilet facilities when it's only a 5k run?

There is a lot of hope to get lafarge to commit to its agreement to sort out panshanger - i dont know if such facilities are on the plan. I imagine the issue would be the maintenance with them being out of the way. (Plus the added potential attraction of travellers which are already a problem in that thieves lane carpark)

Joby

Post by Joby » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 9:24 am

I would have thought Hartham a more logical choice, but regardless of location this is excellent news for runners and would-be runners in Hertford. Don't usually do 5Ks myself (more of a long-distance grinder than a nippy sprinter) but will certainly be giving this a go. Wonder how muddy Panshanger gets in the winter?

Regarding the lack of facilities at - remember what your mother used to say..."you should have gone before you came out" :)

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:14 am

the choice of location is more down to the local interests of the organisers than anything else. They are part of the panshanger park working group. I guess despite quite a few people talking about starting a hertford one no one actually stepped up.

As for winter - it gets extremely muddy! hmm!

muddy

Post by muddy » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Codek,

I am not against a Park Run at Panshanger - on the contrary I think it's great having one virtually on my doorstep - but it's usual for there to be toilet facilities. I can't think of any other race I've done in the last 30 odd years where there hasn't been any. Remember some people will be driving to the event, men can go behind a tree, not sure the ladies will be too happy with that!

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 7:20 pm

well maybe there will be - perhaps thats a standard parkrun thing. maybe they'll hire a couple of portaloos? Lets see..

Surfer Rosa

Post by Surfer Rosa » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 9:10 am

I've done park runs in Norwich and Bristol and I have no idea whether there were any loos so I'm not sure what the point of me posting is apart from to say I'm very pleased to see this is starting in my town. I'm a bit apprehensive about the mud, though.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:32 am

I'm a bit apprehensive about the mud, though.
Not a runner (yet?) but fairly familiar with Panshanger through dog walking and it seems fairly well drained, even in the slop of last winter/spring it was ok. Besides even the meads are mainly dry/not muddy at the moment.

muddy

Post by muddy » Sun 14 Sep, 2014 4:52 pm

Just got back from a lovely walk round Panshanger with Mrs Muddy. Parkrunners have no current fear of mud, but will collect plenty of dog sh*t on their travels. I don't own a dog, but I don't have a problem with dog walkers if their dogs sh*t in the woods. Letting them sh*t all over the paths is disgusting & shows the contempt they have for their countryside environment.