Illegal Parking

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Steve
Project Leader
Illegal Parking

Post by Steve » Sat 18 Oct, 2014 8:26 pm

It's been a while since we've had a thread on bad parking, so when I saw this I thought it deserved some coverage.

Whilst the parking itself isn't illegal (although I'd call it selfish and irresponsible), it is certainly an offence to drive on the pavement, which I can only assume is how this vehicle got to be where it is.
BMW Railway Street.jpg
BMW Railway Street.jpg (141.93KiB)Viewed 13407 times
Last edited by Steve on Sat 18 Oct, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos

arty

Re: Illegal Parking

Post by arty » Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:19 am

Steve wrote:It's been a while since we've had a thread on bad parking, so when I saw this I thought it deserved some coverage.

Whilst the parking itself isn't illegal (although I'd call it selfish and irresponsible), it is certainly an offence to drive on the pavement, which I can only assume is how this vehicle got to be where it is.
BMW Railway Street.jpg

Great! Let's all take our cameras and revisit the Rat Run again :roll:

Golden

Post by Golden » Sun 19 Oct, 2014 1:53 pm

Steve agreed - but is it any worse than the cars parked the other side of the street all of which are up on the kerb/pavement on a bend and obstructing the view of anyone going towards the bus station or coming out of the junction by Halfords as well as inconveniencing pedestrians? In my opinion its an unfortunate reflection on today's society where car is king and some drivers have the arrogance to think they can do whatever they like (lets keep the BMWs out of this shall we as its the driver not the car ;) ). Its lazy and inconsiderate parking - the Gascoyne Way multi-storey and the Old London Rd car parks are less than five minutes walk from the location and both open, free parking and mostly empty at this time.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sun 19 Oct, 2014 6:01 pm

actually golden, if that pic was taken on saturday then gascoigne way on a saturday night is generally full. I've even seen it on a thursday night where i've got the last space.

Golden

Post by Golden » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 9:50 am

Point taken that Gascoyne way does get busy but Old London Rd is quiet; lack of car parks still doesn't excuse poor parking.

buzz

Post by buzz » Tue 21 Oct, 2014 12:13 am

As far as I am aware double yellow lines apply to ALL of the highway, including pavements or footways, so the vehicle is illegally parked. Unfortunately I don't think that the Parking Enforcement people know the law, so motorists get away with this sort of parking. Also, as Steve has said, driving onto the footpath is an offence which the Police can deal with, as is an obstruction of the highway (again, includes footpath/pavement) but unfortunately it seems the police can't be arsed.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Tue 21 Oct, 2014 11:35 am

I may be wrong but I think parking the car on the pavement is not illegal.

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 21 Oct, 2014 12:04 pm

Ewoowar I think you may be right that this is civil enforcement rather but I think the act is known as 'incorrectly parked' rather than 'Illegal parking'. What you may also find in this instance is that this car is parked on private land and not on the pavement that ends where the single line of small slabs separate the two areas so it may be OK to park there any time and all day if you wish to take the chance. This was the case by Dicker Mill for a while however now the owners have started to enforce the parking regulations on their land to stop cars being parked on the bridge.

Doe's it make it any better though?

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Tue 21 Oct, 2014 1:42 pm

Ewoowar wrote:I may be wrong but I think parking the car on the pavement is not illegal.
I think this is the grey area - driving on the pavement is illegal but parking on the apvement may not be - certainly not in some parts of London because of the local situation. The driver would therefore have to be caught in the act of driving onto the pavement? I believe there is some private members bill going through parliament at the moment for greater simplification and clarity.

My beef round here is with cars parked on the pavement (including on the dropped kerbs) up on the industrial estate outside the Merc garage (their own staff) but their general manager does not want to know.

Pharcyde

Post by Pharcyde » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 12:19 pm

Whilst not illegal parking, I was wondering if anyone had ever had any trouble parking on molewood close to HFN? A friend of mine had parked there on Wednesday morning and on returning to the car had found that one of the tyres had been deflated using a screwdriver being lovingly pushed through the tyre wall. This is not the first time as the car has been keyed as well. It's not as though they haven't paid road tax, there are no parking restrictions and the car was not parked over anyone's driveway.