Breathalysing Before Pub Entry

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Steve
Project Leader
Breathalysing Before Pub Entry

Post by Steve » Sat 01 Nov, 2014 3:26 am

The Murky are reporting that The Stone House are taking part in a pilot to breathalyse customers before they go in to pubs. The limit is double the drink-drive limit (so typically 4 pints).

It's bad enough that there even have to be bouncers outside but also having to pass a sobriety test to get in is just sad.

I'm not sure what problem this is trying to solve but it strikes me as something or a blunt instrument.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/B ... story.html" target="_blank

Ewoowar

Re: Breathalysing Before Pub Entry

Post by Ewoowar » Sat 01 Nov, 2014 8:54 pm

I'd say they should be applauded.

The fact that they have bouncers on the door is not a bad thing. It deters certain people. And the fact that they have had a death of one of these means that they have to take a positive step forward.

People can go to many pubs and get tanked up before getting to the Stonehouse for a later night session. Or they can go to the many off licenses and buy whatever they want and drink it on the street. So why not control them? Why not deter those coming in who are already inebriated? Why not deter them from even being in the queue? And if they have had a death at their doorstep would they not be remiss if not proactive?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 2:59 am

Ewoowar wrote:The fact that they have bouncers on the door is not a bad thing. It deters certain people.
Which suggests that the establishment attracts certain people in the first place. If it didn't they wouldn't need bouncers in the first place.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 10:21 am

This is an excellent idea, and I can't see why anyone could possibly be against it. You should know that the law is pretty clear - a pub cannot serve alcohol to someone already drunk. Seems a very simple way of solving the problem ( also suspect they are on their last chance in this regard!)

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 1:20 pm

codek2 wrote:This is an excellent idea, and I can't see why anyone could possibly be against it. You should know that the law is pretty clear - a pub cannot serve alcohol to someone already drunk. Seems a very simple way of solving the problem ( also suspect they are on their last chance in this regard!)
Define "drunk".

Remember, that the effect of this is that if you want to go out drinking in town, you're not allowed any more than four pints. Say goodnight to stag dos and the like.

I'm against it because it's draconian and authoritarian.

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 6:16 pm

Steve wrote:
codek2 wrote:This is an excellent idea, and I can't see why anyone could possibly be against it. You should know that the law is pretty clear - a pub cannot serve alcohol to someone already drunk. Seems a very simple way of solving the problem ( also suspect they are on their last chance in this regard!)
Define "drunk".

Remember, that the effect of this is that if you want to go out drinking in town, you're not allowed any more than four pints. Say goodnight to stag dos and the like.

I'm against it because it's draconian and authoritarian.
I think it's more to do with if you've had 4 pints or more they will refuse you entry. That's not stopping you if you've had 3 going in and drinking another 10. Its just trying to limit drunks going into establishments. It's probably a good idea in all honesty.

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 6:17 pm

Or if you are on a stag/hen night then just get there before the bouncers arrive ie spend your night at the Stonehouse....

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 04 Nov, 2014 6:08 pm

I may agree with the principle but not how it is being done. I could drink the equivalent of 4 units in wine and be unable to stand upright, I would be so drunk. I haven't drunk more than half a bottle of wine for about 5 years. Same for beers, I have never had more than 3 bottles of beer as I just cannot handle it. However I could have 4 vodkas and you would be almost unaware I had been drinking. I have no idea why it is (my OH and I go out for an evening and are both such lightweights that by the end of the evening both of us are capable of, and legally able to, drive :oops: )

Surely it should be on behaviour? If someone appears drunk then refuse entry?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:29 am

Kateg28 wrote:Surely it should be on behaviour? If someone appears drunk then refuse entry?
Exactly, just because someone's had >4 pints doesn't mean they're going to start a fight or misbehave. Conversely, just because someone's had <4 pints doesn't mean they're not going to be trouble. This is a very blunt instrument.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 4:33 am

Steve wrote:
Kateg28 wrote:Surely it should be on behaviour? If someone appears drunk then refuse entry?
Exactly, just because someone's had >4 pints doesn't mean they're going to start a fight or misbehave. Conversely, just because someone's had <4 pints doesn't mean they're not going to be trouble. This is a very blunt instrument.
Blunt but objective. The ability of a nightclub/bar bouncer to make an objective behavioural analysis of potential patrons must, understandably, be compromised from time to time?