New Devlopment Railway Street

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
Harry Palmer
New Devlopment Railway Street

Post by Harry Palmer » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 9:28 pm

Developers have submitted a request to vary the plans for 5 new 2 bed flats on the corner of Railway Street and St John Street. I assume that the plans for this site are why European Cars are moving

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... SH9GLFL900

Could this also mean something may finally happen on the old Charvills site?

Steve
Project Leader

Re: New Devlopment Railway Street

Post by Steve » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 2:50 am

Yes, European Cars are moving because their lease is up and the owner (Chris Abbiss) wants to develop the site.

I'm not sure why this would have any connection with the old Charvill's site (although once owned by Abbiss), which has passed through a number of owners over recent years, despite having planning permission. For some reason no-one seems to want to actually build what's been approved. There are in fact a least three different approved schemes for different areas of the site - a modern block of "apartments" fronting Mill Road, a more traditional collection of houses and flats fronting Railway Street; and a row of mews houses in between. All these plans were submitted at different times and cover different contiguous areas of the site. Preliminary works started on site a number of years ago on the corner of Railway Street and St.John's, ending after a few months. This was purely to get around the need to renew planning approval every three years.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 7:25 pm

I heard a rumour that the Charvills site could be used for a relief road connecting Mill road with Railway street, allowing the area at the front of Hertford East to be pedestrianised. All the traffic from the industrial area (and flats) to go directly to the main A414 roundabout at "M&S", which would then be traffic-lighted like the other main exits.

Haven't thought to deeply about it, but it would help the concerns about pedestrian access to Hertford East ?

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 9:57 am

Smudger wrote:I heard a rumour that the Charvills site could be used for a relief road connecting Mill road with Railway street, allowing the area at the front of Hertford East to be pedestrianised. All the traffic from the industrial area (and flats) to go directly to the main A414 roundabout at "M&S", which would then be traffic-lighted like the other main exits.

Haven't thought to deeply about it, but it would help the concerns about pedestrian access to Hertford East ?
Possibly, though I heard the Charvills site was expected to be a Nandos with an opening date of 1st April 2016.