Best optician in town/area

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
jackanapes
Best optician in town/area

Post by jackanapes » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:13 am

Have used Boots the last few years but while I've found the quality of the dispensing staff to be great the actual opticians seem to be hit and miss, plus they move so regularly you never see the same one from year to year. Any recommends for opticians who have been around for a while and hopefully will be around for a while more?

codek2

Re: Best optician in town/area

Post by codek2 » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 12:01 pm

I've been to specsavers twice - the first guy was so quick and frankly rubbish at his job i nearly walked out. but then i returned out of laziness, and saw someone different, and that guy was brilliant. So you have a 50/50 chance there :)

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 12:33 pm

I've always been happy with Specsavers. If you're on their mailing list you'll occasionally get half price or free eye test offers in the post. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a test.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 8:17 am

I know it means 'crossing the border' but I really cannot recommend Ernest Aves in Ware High Street enough. Been going there for 17 years and really happy with them. Wanted to buy some new glasses the other week and they talked me out of it as were questioning why I really needed them as it was a big purchase.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Not too keen on Specsavers, I fear the same issue as Boots as in you never seem to get the same optician twice. I'll look into Ernest Aves in Ware (no website which seems odd these days), if I'm going to cross the border I might ask over on the other side too. More recommendations welcome.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 12:59 pm

just seen your post on Wareonline and the first response is.....

Ernest Aves.

I think you will be overwhelmed with recommendations for them. :D

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 6:51 pm

Must admit never had a problem with Boots and they do take a photo of the back of your eye to compare with last year. Fitters are rubbish though and I end up doing it myself with a hot air gun :D

arty

Post by arty » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 2:29 pm

I can recommend Jim at Designer Eyes in Old Cross. There's an excellent selection of frames, many of which are not found in Boots or Specsavers.

He's independent, too, and will take a prescription from Boots or wherever. Always very helpful.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 3:41 pm

I can recommend Jim at Designer Eyes in Old Cross. There's an excellent selection of frames, many of which are not found in Boots or Specsavers.

He's independent, too, and will take a prescription from Boots or wherever. Always very helpful.
Thanks, yes Designer Eyes does have a good range of frames etc, However it's more the Opthalmologist/Optometrist, whatever, that I'm interested in. So I've booked an appointment at Ernest Aves and have an appointment with a nearly qualified eye spod, :sigh: