Latest ticket Stasi behaviour.

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
Ewoowar
Latest ticket Stasi behaviour.

Post by Ewoowar » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:14 am

The latest ticket Stasi incident for me was beyond belief. On a packed morning train going into Moorgate from Hertford North the Stasi were squeezing through the carriage so I got my Carnet ticket out to show them. The bloke accused me of having written the date on the ticket only because I saw him coming. I disputed this, pointing out that the Carnet tickets had been turned off at Hertford North barriers so my ticket had already been inspected once before I got on the train.

But he carried on.

"I know you", he said. "I've seen you before and warned you". Garbage, I'd never met this man. So he said he was going to issue a fine. It wasn't until the passenger next to me confirmed my version that he stood down from issuing the fine.

However he still had my ticket in his hand and refused to give it back to me. I asked how I was meant to get through the barriers at Moorgate if he had my ticket.

He told me to use another. So I had to use another, therefore two tickets used up for a single journey when my first ticket was perfectly valid.

And THAT'S why I dislike them so much.

codek2

Re: Latest ticket Stasi behaviour.

Post by codek2 » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:25 am

you need to report this to the train operator.
take a photo of him - and get him fired.

and next time, remind the "inspector" that you're the customer. (and they're not police, they're just employees of the rail company nothing more)

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 1:04 pm

Absolutely report it.

I accept that it is a horrible job and habitual dodgers lie etc (we have all witnessed people claiming to have just got on etc) however they cannot start with guilty and get you to prove your innocence.

I had a situation with an inspector at Broxbourne which meant he said my 16 yo (at the time) was lying and my son ended up quite distressed and being sent back to HFE. I was called and sorted it out with customer relations at the time and followed up with a formal letter of complaint (albeit stating that Customer Relations had sorted it). I have to say the train company took it seriously but I did include the Conditions of Carriage and pointed out where their inspector failed with suggestions for ongoing training.

The saddest thing about the scenario above was when my son said "I am not surprised he didn't believe me as I am a teenager but all the other [unrelated] adults were saying the same thing".

Not all teenagers are lying scum, lots have had decency instilled in them.

Anyhow, back to the point. Report him!!!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 4:37 pm

From The Daily Mail
End the bully tactics, train ticket inspectors are told in crackdown on passengers who are being 'treated like criminals'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rhaul.html

And this from The Guardian is a hoot ...

Transport for London chief: commuter trains into capital are 'shit'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... rains-shit

The man who oversees London’s tube and bus network has described national rail services running into the capital as “shit, awful” and “like the wild west”.

"He also accused the train operators of putting “Gestapo-like” inspectors on trains to fine as many people as possible, including customers who had simply made mistakes with their tickets."

Pharcyde

Post by Pharcyde » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 5:14 pm

I have been on the train and they have failed to fine people for not having a ticket just because they were going to argue. There is one female inspector who has a horrendous wig and an even worse attitude who berated someone for having their feet in the seats and when I walked past she was sat with her feet on the seats. Although I am not saying it is ok to put your feet on the seats it just goes to show how awful their attitudes and how hypocritical they are too.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 01 May, 2015 1:57 pm

first capital connect (RIP) once published how much they had "fined" in a year. it was an absolutely enormous amount. From their point of view you can clearly see that ticket inspectors are indeed self funding. Get more of them, and you make more money. I found it pretty surprising.

They then compared the fines to the cost of the real ticket, and it was spectacular. Good way of graphically showing that it's not worth it.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Fri 01 May, 2015 2:49 pm

I once asked an inspector whether their last training was on customer service or belligerence.