Peking House Closed Down

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Steve
Project Leader
Peking House Closed Down

Post by Steve » Sat 28 Nov, 2015 6:37 pm

Peking House in Fore Street have closed down after the landlord reportedly upped the rent by a prohibitive amount.

leo densian

Re: Peking House Closed Down

Post by leo densian » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 8:13 am

Yes, I'd heard that story too. Bang goes another one thats been there as long as I can remember :cry:

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 1:30 pm

That's terrible news. Arguably the best Chinese restaurant in the area and the only one in Hertford. OK I admit it, it was my favourite. The restaurant was consistently busy at the weekends, in common with other successful restaurants in Hertford, and did a lively take-away trade, so it is difficult to imagine the order of excessive demands the landlords were making that resulted in the closure of this business. For shame. I do hope the owners of Peking House find somewhere else to open up, if that indeed is their plan.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 5:20 pm

Footfruit wrote:.. it is difficult to imagine the order of excessive demands the landlords were making that resulted in the closure of this business. For shame. I do hope the owners of Peking House find somewhere else to open up, if that indeed is their plan.
I understand the rent increase was in to 5 figures. I believe the owners are retiring.

There is also no Chinese restaurant in Ware, following the closure of China Red earlier in the year.

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 5:08 pm

Steve wrote:
Footfruit wrote:.. it is difficult to imagine the order of excessive demands the landlords were making that resulted in the closure of this business. For shame. I do hope the owners of Peking House find somewhere else to open up, if that indeed is their plan.
I understand the rent increase was in to 5 figures. I believe the owners are retiring.

There is also no Chinese restaurant in Ware, following the closure of China Red earlier in the year.
That order of increase is simply flabbergasting. No wonder the owners decided it was time to retire.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 8:23 pm

hang on, we're not talking a 5 fold increase. Merely an increase to a 5 figure amount. how do you know it wasn't £1 off 5 figures anyway?

Not sure where this place is but I heard what Bebo were paying and it's well into 5 figure territory.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 8:45 pm

codek2 wrote:hang on, we're not talking a 5 fold increase. Merely an increase to a 5 figure amount. how do you know it wasn't £1 off 5 figures anyway?
Think you may have mis-read it. My interpretation is that the rent increased by at least 10k (as opposed to 10k)

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 3:32 am

leo densian wrote:
codek2 wrote:hang on, we're not talking a 5 fold increase. Merely an increase to a 5 figure amount. how do you know it wasn't £1 off 5 figures anyway?
Think you may have mis-read it. My interpretation is that the rent increased by at least 10k (as opposed to 10k)
This is correct

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 10:13 am

still meaningless without context.

If it hasn't increased year on year over previous years then it may well just be catching up to the market. Landlords who don't increase year on year are mad because they're opening themselves up to these problems.

Nevertheless clearly it backfired, even if it's only empty a month or two it's going to cause a hit for the landlord.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 12:44 am

Shame

A very good Chinese Restaurant.

The Old Post Office maybe ?