Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
commentator
Re: "Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Post by commentator » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:45 am

Mockery, not Mercury.

commentator

Post by commentator » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:28 pm

"There was a time when The Hertfordshire Mercury saw itself as a part of the community and reported good news and bad. It engaged with and supported the community (remember the Mercury Bus?). Those days have long gone. They now see the residents as nothing more than clickbait. A community to exploit rather than serve"

You are absolutely correct, Steve. This story has made me so angry, it is absolute disgrace. They are quick to publish a report about an overflowing litter bin after an event attended by thousands but cannot be bothered to get off their lazy backsides to cover the event itself. Probably too busy enjoying the bank holiday instead of doing the job they are paid to do.
If the circulation figure wasn't as low as it is I would say The Mockery is doing serious damage to the reputation of our towns at a time when they need all the support they can get. Can anyone explain why they still pay good money to read this rag or advertise in it. For the life of me I cannot think of one good reason.

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 1:40 pm

I stopped buying it when I found I could read it cover to cover while waiting in the supermarket queue and then leave it on the counter - for the past few years I've not even bothered doing that as most of the 'news' is out of the area and the rest is chip paper waiting for a good bin. Recently I've installed an adblocker on my PC due solely to their over the top advertising (25+ on most stories) as they've gone to ridiculous lengths to earn a few pennies - I've lost all sympathy/empathy for the people that work there but hopefully in their next job they'll realise one day that quality will overcome quantity.

commentator

Post by commentator » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 2:45 pm

It's worth taking a look at the comments on the litter story on the Mockery's Facebook page. It is clear they have seriously misjudged public reaction to their inept reporting. The 'official' response to one complainant iwould be laughable if it weren't so insulting.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 3:52 am

TM are closing three Eastern titles. It's worth reading the comments below the line, esp Geralt of Rivia's

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2017/ ... -to-close/

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 8:53 pm

As I have just told HM via their fb page regarding the "post apocalyptic litter" article and their inept response to criticism of it:

"Hertfordshire Mercury your reply to your readership's concern over this sensationalist, negative (Daily Fail style) reporting acutely demonstrates your utter contempt for the community you purport to serve. A plain and simple "sorry we got this wrong" (not the facts but the sentiment) would have shown more courage than the weasel words you chose instead."

Harrumph!

One suspects such comments will have no effect for precisely the reasons described by Steve...

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 9:25 pm

Just seen this on the BBC regarding Oldham Evening Chronicle hit by the "changing nature of the local media landscape" stood out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-41113497

Darcy I've been giving the Mercury some stick too over the past few days and made some lengthy comments on the website comments section too. Its amazing that they are so stubborn they haven't even mentioned the MMT and its success! Biggest event in Hertford at least since the last one and not a word!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 2:55 am

Golden wrote:Its amazing that they are so stubborn they haven't even mentioned the MMT and its success! Biggest event in Hertford at least since the last one and not a word!
For what it's worth, The Mercury did contact Hertford Music Festival on Tuesday about coverage of The Musical Mystery Tour. However a decision was taken not to engage with them or help rescue their reputation. In the meantime, the Welwyn & Hatfield Times will soon be featuring a post-event report. It's worth noting that the WH Times is increasingly covering Hertford and it would be interesting to see if they take advantage when The Mercury closes (as it inevitably will IMHO).

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 8:46 am

The only thing I use it for is the Twitter traffic reports. The website is virtually unusable with its pop up adverts and fake surveys.

I do find that I miss events sometimes though as there doesn't seem to be anywhere pulling together a "Whats On" section and it used to be good for that in the olden days. Now I have to hope I am subscribed to the right twitter feeds to find out what's happening #herford

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 12:51 pm

To add to what Steve has already written; another one bites the dust.

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/bedf ... -1-8131054

This is happening all over the place. In the old days giant multiples would keep a store open despite it failing as it felt it had a duty of care to the community at large and the bigger more successful stores in the group allowed it to continue to trade. Now if a shop becomes a non performing asset it is closed - re Claires and others in town. There are deeper reasons for the closure of Hertford Waitrose but sales or lack of them was quoted by the company as the prime reason for the closure of the other four (the fifth was relocated) despite petitions from Councils, Chambers of Commerce and public.

As has been mentioned income will eventually not cover costs and the Hertfordshire Mercury will fold. As someone who has worked closely with past journalists and staff of this paper it will be a sad day because they did care about the community they worked in and reported for. Not any more. The real problem I have is that I won't miss it when it goes and I think that goes for many others.