Beane Road/North Road cycling proposals

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Beane Road/North Road cycling proposals

Post by Steve » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 1:53 am

The County Council are conducting a survey on proposals for cycling "improvements" around North, Road, Beane Road and Hartham.

Most of the proposals appear to be cosmetic and an excuse for the County Council to claim they are supporting and promoting cycling. It's just an extension of the pointless on-road advisory cycle lane markings, because, hey, green paint makes cycling safer.

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/about- ... ities.aspx

Motor vehicles and cycles should not be sharing the same carriageway. Painting a line a few feet out from the kerb and painting the space green does absolutely nothing to improve safety for cyclists. We need either dedicated cycle lanes or shared use with pedestrians (and ensuring that the pavements are wide enough for the separation of cyclists and pedestrians, which is what they do in parts of Stevenage).

TcfL

Re: Beane Road/North Road cycling proposals

Post by TcfL » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 10:55 am

We are a county town with narrow roads and even narrower pavements so either cycles share the road with other wheeled vehicles or they dominate pedestrians - for me its the former.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 8:24 pm

Steve wrote:
Motor vehicles and cycles should not be sharing the same carriageway. Painting a line a few feet out from the kerb and painting the space green does absolutely nothing to improve safety for cyclists. We need either dedicated cycle lanes or shared use with pedestrians (and ensuring that the pavements are wide enough for the separation of cyclists and pedestrians, which is what they do in parts of Stevenage).
There is nothing wrong with two forms of road users sharing the same carriageway providing (for example) any overtaking is done safely; after all we all pay for the roads through general taxation (with an additional payment if your vehicle is polluting (ie a car rather than a horse)

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 6:14 pm

I currently regularly seem to share my pedestrian space with cyclists doing "wheelies" with no lights on.. somehow they and I have not yet collided.. but give it time ;) but seriously, speaking as someone who tries to cycle responsibly - its hard around Hertford to be able to keep safe from the lorries and buses in particular but I wouldn't want narrower footpaths as its hard for people in wheelchairs and children in buggies to get along the pavement and not fall into the roads...and share with other two wheel users... difficult one...

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 8:31 pm

I believe it all feeds into LTP4 (HCC Transport Plan) which is currently out for consultation and will impact on all road users
https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/about- ... -ltp4.aspx#