Hertford traffic chaos

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
VC10
Hertford traffic chaos

Post by VC10 » Mon 28 May, 2018 5:30 pm

Why has a lane been blocked off in Gascoyne Way and the roundabout when it appears that no work is taking place until at least Tuesday. This has caused unnecessary hold ups all over the bank holiday week end. Has nobody at County Hall got any common sense?

Golden

Re: Hertford traffic chaos

Post by Golden » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:22 pm

They were working there on Thursday and Saturday I think digging a few holes but you're right there could have been work over the weekend to ease the pain, having seen the effects over these few days I can safely predict that Tuesday is going to be absolute chaos, in the words of BTO - you ain't seen nothing yet!

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 10:13 am

I will put up with a certain amount of sitting in traffic for “essential gas works” if it stops the mains blowing up and killing people but....

Can we somehow the eradicate the peculiarly British practice of deliberately lengthening queues in the mistaken belief that the protocol is to get in lane early and scowl at or actively block drivers who stay in the other lane “until the last minute” and then merge. This is pig ingnorance of the worst kind.

In all other civilised countries they understand merging in turn and form two orderly queues up until the point where they have to merge in turn.

Arseholes who straddle both lanes to stop “queue jumpers” are simply extending (potentially doubling) the length of any queue. This is common practice on the way in to Hertford from Welwyn on the 414 and I have even seen lorry drivers (vocational drivers no less) playing this utterly selfish “you’re not getting ahead of me” game.

If we stayed in two lanes no-one would be “getting ahead” and their British sense of “fair play” would be satisfied and the queue would be half as long (so not sodding up a roundabout a mile behind)...

Rant over - off for a lie down now :D

Golden

Post by Golden » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 11:26 am

Well said Darcy it does appear to be a particularly British trait! Having just driven past the works I've seen the plastic pipe going into the hole so hopefully they'll get it fixed on time or Monday will be worse

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 1:52 pm

I think the issue is that a roundabout that is already over capacity at peak hours, has had that capacity halved, leading to delays of over an hour. Particularly when you get to the site of the roadworks and no works are actually taking place.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 5:13 pm

according to google maps it does finish tomorrow??? can we hope?

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 7:49 am

Having avoided the area all week I was surprised that, last night when making an appt for one of my cats to see the vet, the receptionist advised me that the works would be completed by Tuesday! Who needs HCC Highways for info on road works when the vet can tell you.

Golden

Post by Golden » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 4:39 pm

Having just walked past the holes are all filled in and the work appears to have finished so hopefully the cones will be gone by Monday morning

Golden

Post by Golden » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 2:10 am

All gone