Aldi

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Steve
Project Leader
Re: Aldi

Post by Steve » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 2:08 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:Not going too well for Aldi on the basis of this guidance from Planing policy desk

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... 140681.pdf

Link above didn't work for me but this did ...

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... 140681.pdf
SloopJohnB wrote:It will mean the loss of 170 jobs and only gain 50 as feared by newgirl.
I think that's a win. What are the chances of finding another employer willing to take on the site and 150 employees? Quite small I would imagine. Retail use obviously generates employment so I would dismiss the change of use issues. Whilst there are certainly policy issues, I think a little pragmatism might not go amiss. IMHO the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.

I also see that despite the comments from Planning Policy, Highways have raised no objections in their response.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 2:38 pm

that link doesnt work either steve!

i suspect they've got some horrible session based voodoo in the url. bah.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 3:00 pm

Steve, I was just trying to paraphrase Planning Policy's arguments. Their document references the National Planing Policy Framework and District Plan and other research done by outside agencies which I think is what their role is in this. By 2019 with more residents I do think that we will need another food store and there is nowhere else to go so a little pragmatism as you say will go a long way. Depending on what is being discussed both Tesco and Sainsburys declare themselves 'out of town' or 'town centre' but we will still have to shop for food outside of the town centre.

I see from axis magazine that the giftware shop in Market Square has closed. I have made the point to the Town Centre Urban District Plan and at many other meetings that more should be done to promote, advertise and market the town centre - an ancient, historic and architecturally rich market town. Therefore the sequential judgement may be valid but a waste of time if there is nothing in the town centre to harm.

One of the measures used against Sainsburys was the effect on comparison shopping. A valid point at the time but as soon as it opened people were asking me why it wasn't bigger and have a Home and Wear department; which could have been done with all the empty space at the time but against planing policy. I could go on but many of the conversations I had with the Sainsburys consultants about signage, town centre support and other things fell on deaf ears elsewhere and now I am being polite and obtuse before I drop myself in the proverbial.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 2:45 am

Happy anniversary!

A year on and still no planning decision.

https://www.hertford.net/local-news/?id=61

Sniffer Dog

Post by Sniffer Dog » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 1:53 pm

Haven't read it yet - but it's just popped up on the agenda for the next planning committee meeting in July recommended for approval.

jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 » Fri 13 Jul, 2018 5:35 pm

Interesting to read the latest Mercury report on the proposed Aldi store on the present Which site. Much has been said about the car parking facilities that need to be available but what about those potential customers who, for one reason or another have to use public transport. So far as I am aware there is currently no bus stop or bus service in the immediate vicinity. Maybe something similar to the Ware Asda bus support should be arranged when the time comes.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 13 Jul, 2018 8:39 pm

jasmine98 wrote:
Fri 13 Jul, 2018 5:35 pm
Interesting to read the latest Mercury report on the proposed Aldi store on the present Which site. Much has been said about the car parking facilities that need to be available but what about those potential customers who, for one reason or another have to use public transport. So far as I am aware there is currently no bus stop or bus service in the immediate vicinity. Maybe something similar to the Ware Asda bus support should be arranged when the time comes.
The nearest bus stop is 200m away in St.Andrew Street. I suspect this issue may crop up at the development meeting when it is discussed.

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 7:26 am

This was detailed in the original submission https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... 129912.pdf