Bengeo Gravel Extraction

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Re: Bengeo Gravel Extraction

Post by Steve » Thu 14 Apr, 2016 4:03 pm

This is a map of the proposed site. A cynic might suggest that it's been cleverly cropped so that the primary school is just of of the frame.

Also, some people appear to believe that the application relates to the old Rickneys site. The proposed site is currently agricultural land immediately north of Bengeo.
Consultation site plan(1).jpg
Consultation site plan(1).jpg (123.67KiB)Viewed 14440 times

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Fri 15 Apr, 2016 10:50 am

I don't want the quarry here any more than anyone else living in the area. On a historical note a lot of Bengeo is built on old gravel workings, started in the 1800's in Port Vale and worked its way up the hill via Parkhurst and Elton Road etc.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 10:04 pm

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 5:53 pm

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:32 pm

Well done to the stop Bengeo Quarry campaigners.
They've stopped a quarry that would have been a public park in 20 years time.
Now there will be houses forever.

Didn't put that in the leaflets did they

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 2:12 am

Smudger wrote:
Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:32 pm
Well done to the stop Bengeo Quarry campaigners.
They've stopped a quarry that would have been a public park in 20 years time.
Now there will be houses forever.

Didn't put that in the leaflets did they
You're going to have to explain that one to me

thefair1973

Post by thefair1973 » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 3:36 pm

I think Smudger means that n most cases, when they've extracted all the aggregates they can from a quarry, it gets landscaped and returned to nature in the form of parkland/wetlands etc. Because people campaigned to stop it, the obvious alternative to a quarry will be a nice new housing estate

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 6:02 pm

thefair1973 wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2019 3:36 pm
I think Smudger means that n most cases, when they've extracted all the aggregates they can from a quarry, it gets landscaped and returned to nature in the form of parkland/wetlands etc. Because people campaigned to stop it, the obvious alternative to a quarry will be a nice new housing estate
There's not a cat-in-hell's chance of that happening (which is why it wouldn't have been mentioned in the leaflets).

It's green belt so housing wouldn't be allowed. In fact the Secretary Of State specifically mentioned the amenity value of the field as a reason for dismissing the appeal.

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 3:21 pm

thefair1973 wrote:
I'm fairly sure one of councils involved were in favour of the quarry because it would declassify greenbelt land and allow them to put a housing estate on it afterwards. I don't think I imagined it, anyone got a reference?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 6:01 pm

newcomer wrote:
Thu 18 Apr, 2019 3:21 pm
thefair1973 wrote:
I'm fairly sure one of councils involved were in favour of the quarry because it would declassify greenbelt land and allow them to put a housing estate on it afterwards. I don't think I imagined it, anyone got a reference?
The presence of the quarry would not change it's green belt status. Mineral extraction is allowed in the green belt due to it's "temporary" nature.

The District Council raised no objection "in principle" to the quarry, (which is not necessarily the same as supporting it). There was some discussion at the appeal about the relationship with the 150 homes earmarked for HERT4 on the old nursery site and to the immediate north, but this land was not part of the quarry application and not green belt.