Whistling Duck

Your restaurant reviews
Darcy Sarto
Whistling Duck

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 4:10 am

Looking for somewhere nice to go with the Sarto mater-in-law on Friday. Have heard the Whistling Duck can be good. Can anyone out there confirm this or appropriately shatter my illusion?

Kateg28

Re: Whistling Duck

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 10:21 am

I went there in May for my birthday and it was outstanding. It was on a Tuesday and very quiet, there was one other party of three who were halfway through their meal when we arrived so we finished our meal alone. The ambience therefore was not perfect but still nice atmosphere but the service was excellent and we ended with the maitre d' on the wooden terrace at the back discussing the wildlife. It was the last Tuesday they were opening, luckily my birthday is on a Wednesday this year.

The waiter must have heard my son or partner mentioning it was my birthday as when I order dessert it came with a plate decorated with chocolate writing wishing me happy birthday. They did not know it before we arrived as I made the booking. It was a lovely touch.

It wasn't cheap as the bill was about £130 for three (three courses including one bottle of prosecco (he was driving and I am not a big drinker so one bottle was all we could manage) but not ridiculously expensive.

My son thought it was amazing and he will ask for it for his birthday I think.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 1:30 pm

Not been recently but have always been very happy when I have been. They did a wonderful party for us a couple of years ago.................................

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sat 04 Jan, 2014 11:00 am

All went very well and I can now thoroughly recommend.

Many thanks Kateg28 and Marilyn.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 3:30 pm

Just had a very nice birthday lunch there. Not over busy but still a nice atmosphere and the food was wonderful so can now recommend on a recent trip!

TupennyRush

Post by TupennyRush » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 9:57 am

Just to say thank you for the recommendation as went for a birthday meal which was great. Food was excellent although I will warn anyone (like me) who prefers their meat fully cooked (as opposed to bloody!) that some dishes aren't available so it does limit your choice a little but only by a dish or two :(

Otherwise thoroughly recommended

robbiebgg

Post by robbiebgg » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 3:55 pm

We went to the Whistling Duck on Saturday evening. As it was a lovely evening, it was great to sit on the terrace overlooking the river before dinner enjoying our drinks. On a summers evening, the setting here is very nice, quite apart from the fact that the food was excellent and service very good. Dinner for 4 of us for a 3 course meal, including drinks and tip was £200.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 4:54 pm

Just had a lovely lunch for 6 to celebrate 2 family birthdays. Had a balloon for my Mum's 90th on the table and at the end of the meal they bought out plate decorated with happy birthday written in chocolate, 2 chocolate dipped strawberries and a candle on it. Lovely touch I thought as I had not asked for anything they just spotted the balloon!

robbiebgg

Post by robbiebgg » Sat 20 Dec, 2014 1:08 pm

Not been here in the winter before, so a group of 4 of us went here last week for Sunday lunch. I only booked on Saturday but got a table without problem although the place was busy - perhaps not surprising as it was so near Christmas. Food was excellent with a good choice of both roasts and alternatives from the main menu and whilst we had 3 courses each, certainly left very full. Good service too although I note a 10% tip was added to the bill - just hope the staff get it rather than disappearing into the management pot.
Overall very good and recommended either for a couple or larger parties.