Disappearing cycle lanes on North Road

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
highwayman

Disappearing cycle lanes on North Road

Post by highwayman » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 4:42 pm

I know they were narrow and got bumpier by the month as HCC did not repair them but isn't having no bike lanes at all on the road to/ from Hertford North even worse?
Steve
Project Leader

Re: Disappearing cycle lanes on North Road

Post by Steve » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 6:35 pm

highwayman wrote:
Wed 12 Jun, 2019 4:42 pm
I know they were narrow and got bumpier by the month as HCC did not repair them but isn't having no bike lanes at all on the road to/ from Hertford North even worse?
Frankly, no.

Indicative cycle lanes are completely pointless and offer no additional protection to cyclists whatsoever. They're just a ruse for the council to claim they're supporting cycling. Cyclists need to be properly separated from other traffic, including pedestrians where possible.
Toady

Re: Disappearing cycle lanes on North Road

Post by Toady » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 8:33 pm

Disagree completely. Along that stretch there is insufficient space for "proper" segregation, and as someone who rides them everyday I do find that drivers try to keep out of them. Not the gold standard but better than nowt. Which as Highwayman says is what we have (temporarily I hope) for now. Would also have been an idea for HCC to send a gully cleaner down there - most of the gullies are full.