Street Names In Hertford

Photo of Bell Lane sign by the Salisbury Arms Hotel Many streets, squares and yards in Hertford bear the names of noteworthy individuals that have connections with the town. Others have names that reflect their heritage, such as Priory Street or Tanners Crescent.

Local dignitaries have have lent their names to streets, Thomas Fanshaw and A.J.Balfour amongst them. Names such as Duncombe and Dimsdale can be found on pubs as well as streets (although the latter closed in the 1990s). Cecil, Salisbury, Gascoyne. Townshend and Villiers all reflect the role played by The House Of Cecil in the town's history.

The main street in the town centre is named Fore Street, parallel to which ran the lesser Back Street, now known as Railway Street.

Some streets are named after pubs, such as Maidenhead Street and Bull Plain. The Maidenhead closed in 1933 and was later occupied by Woolworths. The Bull Inn is now a camera shop.

Shown below are some street names in the town and details of their origins.

Albion Closebuilt on the site of The Albion Inn
Archers Closebuilt on the site of William Archer's scrap metal yard
Ashbournea small stream also known as The Gulphs and colloqially as The Quicks
Baker Streetnamed after William Baker, Mayor of Hertford 1931-1939
Balfour StreetNamed after the Hon.A.J.Balfour, Hertford's MP who became Prime Minister in 1902.
Birdie Wayall the roads on the Pinehurst Estate are named after golfing expressions. The estate was built on land that was once part of East Herts Golf Club
Byde StreetNamed after Sir Thomas Byde, Recorder of London in 1669, who rebuilt the mansion at Ware Park.
Carde CloseEdward Carde was Mayor three times in the 17th century
Calton AvenueJoseph Calton was Mayor four times in the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
Cecil RoadNamed after William Cecil, the second Earl of Salisbury.
Claud Hamilton WayThis new road is named after Claud Hamilton, who was the chairman of the Great Eastern Railway from 1893 to 1922.
Cranbourne CloseNamed after Lord Cranbourne, a Hertford MP.
CowbridgeA drover's route into town. Cattle were driven into town over Cowbridge to the market in Old Cross and latterly Bull Plain and then The Ram.
Cowper CrescentSir William Cowper - MP
Cromwell RoadNamed after Oliver Cromwell, who came to the town to quell a mutiny amongst his men during the English Civil War.
Currie StreetNamed after the early 19th century MP.
Davies StreetOriginally Railway Terrace, Davies Street is named after Dr.John Davies, lardlord of the properties. He came to Hertford in 1827 and was appointed surgeon to the local militia, later becoming physician to the Infirmary and County Gaol. He was also elected Mayor in 1835.
Desborough CloseThe Desborough family owned Panshanger Park from 1905 - 1952 when it was sold and the mansion demolished.
Dimsdale StreetProbably named after Sir John Dimsdale, a prominent Hertford doctor, who presented the main gates of Christ's Hospital to the school. He later became Baron Dimsdale.
Dolphin YardNext to the site of the former Glove and Dolphin Inn which existed until 1768
Duncombe RoadNamed after Thomas Duncombe, Hertford's Radical MP of the early 19th Century.
Fairfax RoadNamed after Thomas Fairfax, commander-in-chief of the seventeenth century New Model Army. He came with Oliver Cromwell to the town to quell an uprising in the ranks.
Fanshawe StreetBears the name of Sir Richard Fanshawe, one time owner of Ware Park.
Frampton StreetNamed after William Frampton Andrews, who, with his brother, built the houses on Folly Island. The brothers also established the Museum.
Gascoyne WayNamed after the Gascoigne Family.
Glovers CloseSo-called because of the glove factory that stood on the site, owned by Webb & Co.
Holden CloseJames Holden 1885-1907 was Locomotive Superintendent of Great Eastern Railways. Holdens Close is built on the site of the first Hertford East station built in 1843. The present station was built in 1888.
Hornsmill Roadwas previously Horns Road. Horns Mill was originally the Brickendonburry Mill but by 1834 was colloqially called Horns Mill after the Harts Horns Inn wich is recorded as early as 1714. The mill was demolished in 1972 after Webb & Co leather dressers and glove manufacturers closed down.
Palmer ClosePalmer Close and Palmer Road are both named after Mayor Andrew Palmer, who served during the English Civil War.
Pegs LaneWilliam Peg built the first cottages here around 1800.
Priory StreetNamed after The Hertford Priory, which stood on the site.
Purkiss RoadBeleived to be named after Alexander Purkiss Ginn, Freeman of the Town and major during the early part of the 20th century.
Sele FarmSele Manor was listed in The Domesday Book of 1086
Smeaton CourtSmeaton Court, which lies next to the river, is named after civil engineer John Smeaton, who made improvements to the River Lee Navigation between 1765 and 1770.
St.John's StreetNamed after St.John's Church, which stood nearby in The Hertford Priory.
Talbot StreetRev.William Talbot and Robert Bourke purchased the land for redevelopment around 1860
Tanners CrescentSo named because of the leather tannery that stood on the site, owned by Webb & Co.
Thornton StreetNamed after Robert Thornton Andrews, who, with his brother, built the houses on Folly Island. The brothers also established the Museum.
Villiers StreetTogether with Townshend Street, is named after John Villiers Townshend, the fifth Marquess of Salisbury of Hatfield