Motorcycle parking at stations?

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
bassboy
Motorcycle parking at stations?

Post by bassboy » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are intending to move to Hertford this year and I'm hoping someone can tell me what the situation is with regards to motorcycle parking at both Hertford stations?

I've been able to find information about parking charges for cars online but do the same apply for bikes? Are there dedicated parking areas for bikes and if so, can anyone tell me what the likelihood of getting a spot in the morning might be on a weekday?!

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Kateg28

Re: Motorcycle parking at stations?

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 9:53 am

I don't think many people park motorbikes at Hertford Stations, the thinking being that you might as well travel down the line and pay less in fares.

I cant recall seeing many and am not aware of any dedicated parking except for bicycles. If you are using an entire space then it should be the same price as a car I would think. As for getting a space, I think you need to be fairly early (I walk so blissfully unaware of parking challenges).

Aside from these issues, Hertford is lovely! I hope you enjoy living here

bassboy

Post by bassboy » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Kateg28 and thanks for your reply.

Both my wife and I will need to commute into London for work so we're just considering options for getting to and from the station. Ideally, we'd like to find a house within walking distance of Hertford North but I appreciate that these properties are in high demand and short supply so realistically, we need to consider other options, hence wondering if motorbiking would be an option?

We're not opposed to driving our car to the station but without having our own 'premier' space (if it's even possible to get one?!) is there a chance that we won't be able to park some mornings? I've read other posts about parking being available at the pub next door but have also read that the pub has now closed so is this additional parking still available?

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, tips etc on this?... Is there plenty of space for bicycles? Are buses an option we could consider?

Thanks again for your help!

beebopb

Post by beebopb » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 9:06 am

Whether you'll have trouble parking a car very much depends on what time you'll be getting the train. Obviously the earlier your train the easier it is to park. At the moment I think you'd definitely get a space before 8am.

There are extensive bike racks, so you would have no problem if you're using bicycles.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 9:43 am

bassboy wrote:Hi Kateg28 and thanks for your reply.

Both my wife and I will need to commute into London for work so we're just considering options for getting to and from the station. Ideally, we'd like to find a house within walking distance of Hertford North but I appreciate that these properties are in high demand and short supply so realistically, we need to consider other options, hence wondering if motorbiking would be an option?
Another option if you have a motorbike, you might want to consider riding to Broxbourne as the fares to London are cheaper and there is much more parking. Parking at the station there is very expensive but there is a car park a short walk away that is much cheaper.

Otherwise cycling is a very good idea.

I live 20 minutes walk from Hertford North and it is uphill and I moan about it every evening (to myself, no one else cares) but at least I don't have to pay parking.

bassboy

Post by bassboy » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 10:16 am

Thank you both for your replies.

I think we probably would be at the station before 8am so it's good to know we'd be likely to get a space. Do either of you know if the pub car park next door is still available as a 'plan B' for parking or has this come to an end?

I'm totally happy with the idea of cycling too so that would be an option and combining the commute with a bit of exercise might not be a bad idea! :D

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:28 pm

the pub car park is still available for now despite the pub having closed, but clearly they'll redevlop the site soon, then the parking will go, and then it'll be a scrum for spaces!

Another tip though; Hatfield is less than 10 mins away, has an enormous car park, and trains to kings cross in 23 minutes. So if you're going to have to drive (ride) anyway it may make sense.