Train cancelled - train crew shortage

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
Sargasso
Train cancelled - train crew shortage

Post by Sargasso » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 1:32 pm

Is it me or has the HN route deteriorated massively in the past week or two due to staff shortages? Affecting mainly the early morning schedules but it's every other train at the moment in either direction. I know Sothern trains are in the news but I can't find anything about us.
Anybody aware of what's going on?

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Train cancelled - train crew shortage

Post by Steve » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 5:20 pm

"... Great Northern passenger satisfaction for the period 11 January to 20 March fell, year-on-year, from 80% to 74% ..."

"These disappointing scores reflect the poor punctuality and disruption on the route, caused by driver vacancies at a time of added driver training for new and better trains, ageing rolling stock, major projects under way and issues with Network Rail infrastructure. But we’re bringing in new drivers as fast as we can and the new trains coming online this year and next will transform our passengers’ journeys."

http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/about- ... on-survey/

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 8:00 am

Sargasso wrote:Is it me or has the HN route deteriorated massively in the past week or two due to staff shortages? Affecting mainly the early morning schedules but it's every other train at the moment in either direction. I know Sothern trains are in the news but I can't find anything about us.
Anybody aware of what's going on?
Southern and the HFN route are both owned by the same parent company (Govia Thameslink). I work with someone on the Southern line and it is truly in a different league. I don't think the staff shortages are linked but they could be...

I haven't had any significant problems recently, I get the 6.45am train and it is often a minute or two late at HFN but nothing worth worrying about. Does it deteriorate later or have a I been blissfully unaware?

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Thu 07 Jul, 2016 10:06 pm

I agree they have been pretty poor in the last few weeks - often at least one train in the morning around the time I'm leaving is cancelled and usually a delay as well. The other morning we just sat at Alexandra Palace for twenty minutes with a power failure (presumably on the clapped out train as other trains were coming past us). The evenings have been the same - generally the excuse for the cancellations has been staff shortages which I assumed was linked to the southern fiasco (maybe they've been calling in sick to support the staff on the other franchise, maybe it is just very bad planning by the operator).