Is anything happening?

Hertford Town Council and East Herts District Council elections take place in May 2019
jbond
Is anything happening?

Post by jbond » Sat 27 Apr, 2019 7:04 am

We've got local elections in under a week's time. And EU elections in under 4 weeks.

Is anything happening in Hertford?

I understand the local Tories are running a stall at today's market.

SloopJohnB

Re: Is anything happening?

Post by SloopJohnB » Sat 27 Apr, 2019 9:07 am

My Swansong - see local news on main page. I'm not so sure if admin allows this but at least it answers your question.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 27 Apr, 2019 2:50 pm

jbond wrote:
Sat 27 Apr, 2019 7:04 am
We've got local elections in under a week's time. And EU elections in under 4 weeks.

Is anything happening in Hertford?

I understand the local Tories are running a stall at today's market.
I'm amazed anyone would stand as a Conservative POarty candidate given the current state of affairs. That said, at least they're out there campaigning.

Given the open goal that is presented to them, there's very little sign of any of the other parties pressing the flesh.

Mack E. Avelly

Post by Mack E. Avelly » Sun 28 Apr, 2019 12:39 am

I sent my postal votes back a while ago, so any attempts to swing my vote for the locals would be wasted. Have had a few leaflets from Tories and labour.

Lamentable choice. The big 2 or an Independent at local level. Big 2, Quislings or Greens at County.

The Independent and Greens it was, anyone but the big 2, within reason. All wasted no doubt as this is a blue rosette on a dog turd constituency...and yes I'm very well aware there are red rosette equivalents. Wish the Independent 'force' was much stronger. My home town County council in Mid Wales was run very successfully by these folks for years. People like Councillor Ruffles who really do care for their community above party.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 12:29 am

Mack E. Avelly wrote:
Sun 28 Apr, 2019 12:39 am
Lamentable choice. The big 2 or an Independent at local level. Big 2, Quislings or Greens at County.
You're a couple of years late for the County elections (or early depending on the viewpoint).

This year's elections are for the town and district councils.

SleepyOwl

Post by SleepyOwl » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 12:04 pm

I've been out campaigning and delivering a bit myself. Most people are very polite and understand that these are local elections but the general feeling is still quite depressing. I suspect a lot of people won't vote :?

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 3:30 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat 27 Apr, 2019 2:50 pm
Given the open goal that is presented to them, there's very little sign of any of the other parties pressing the flesh.
The opposition parties still have to target their resources sensibly. For instance Labour, I imagine, is concentrating in Sele and the LibDems will be concentrating on retaining the district councillor they won in the Watton-at-Stone by election last August.

The tories pressing the flesh could be a mixed blessing for them! ;)

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 8:47 am

But it was the Conservative party in Fleming Crescent on Saturday (Sele), not seen any Labour party members anywhere.

I have had a leaflet from both but the labour one was yesterday whereas the Tory one was last week.

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Fri 03 May, 2019 1:12 pm

From my lowly position and only looking at the results for Hertford I feel there was a clear statement that the electorate, whilst in the main happy with EHDC, are looking for a Council that is more prepared to challenge central Government on issues such as building on the green belt and laying more concrete on the countryside. Cities have greater power than Districts, who get pushed around by Central and County. I feel the vote is saying people want a greater, not less than, say on what happens in their district and is looking to its Council to respect that view. There also needs to be a clearer and more open published dialogue with County which at times seems of the opinion it runs the show irrespective of what voters feel.

As for process of counting the vote I have nothing but praise for all those staff who took part and worked long into the night (under the steely eye of candidates!) and had to struggle with a very high number of mixed vote counts. I am just surprised that in 2019 the count system is not automated/computerised to some extent - here I am thinking of India which appears to be years' ahead of us in the use of such methods and have shown it is reliable.

highwayman

Post by highwayman » Sat 04 May, 2019 8:53 am

Town council results here:
https://hertford.net/local-news/?id=189
Welcome Tony and Alex