Old Cross Closed

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Marilyn
Old Cross Closed

Post by Marilyn » Fri 08 Aug, 2014 8:56 am

Did I miss it or was there no warning that Old Cross would be closed to and from Bengeo this morning? I know its school holidays that's why they are doing it now but could they not have closed it on a Sunday morning rather than a Friday? Not sure how long it was / is closed but certainly it was closed at 7 am when I tried to go down and still closed at 8 am when I tried to come back up. Nelson Street / Byde Street was really taking a hammering as there was no warning until you were on top of it. A sign Road Closed at the top of Port Hill was no help when it didn't say where or how long for!
It would seem its a swallow hole but there are no diversions in place, at least there were not at 8 am.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/N ... 170457.htm" target="_blank

City Fella

Re: Old Cross Closed

Post by City Fella » Fri 08 Aug, 2014 9:17 am

Saw a tweet last night from HCC saying it would be closed due to hole being discovered under the road during the works going on there. They stated a diversion in their message (via A414, A10, A602) and guessed that they would be putting out signage accordingly...obviously not!

Wonder what the Sainsbury's trading figures will be like today!

arty

Post by arty » Fri 08 Aug, 2014 10:52 am

Marilyn wrote:Did I miss it or was there no warning that Old Cross would be closed to and from Bengeo this morning? I know its school holidays that's why they are doing it now but could they not have closed it on a Sunday morning rather than a Friday? Not sure how long it was / is closed but certainly it was closed at 7 am when I tried to go down and still closed at 8 am when I tried to come back up. Nelson Street / Byde Street was really taking a hammering as there was no warning until you were on top of it. A sign Road Closed at the top of Port Hill was no help when it didn't say where or how long for!
It would seem its a swallow hole but there are no diversions in place, at least there were not at 8 am.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/N ... 170457.htm" target="_blank

There was an electronic Traffic Sign outside Hatfield with that information, though :D

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Fri 08 Aug, 2014 11:31 am

City Fella wrote:Saw a tweet last night from HCC saying it would be closed due to hole being discovered under the road during the works going on there. They stated a diversion in their message (via A414, A10, A602) and guessed that they would be putting out signage accordingly...obviously not!

Wonder what the Sainsbury's trading figures will be like today!

Well anyone from Bengeo heading in to town will probably park and visit Sainsbury's even if that was not the original plan................mind you the Museum has had to close due to flooding so not sure how much of the twon is managing to stay open.....................businesses on Old Cross will be hit......................

James007

Post by James007 » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:03 pm

A video has been posted on Youtube by Herts County Council showing the extent of the problem.

Look at the hole in the background which looks like it might be going under the pavement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToN4WfJlbQo&app=desktop" target="_blank

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 1:01 pm

James007 wrote:Look at the hole in the background which looks like it might be going under the pavement.
That's the trench dug by the contractor.

James007

Post by James007 » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 1:03 pm

Steve wrote:
James007 wrote:Look at the hole in the background which looks like it might be going under the pavement.
That's the trench dug by the contractor.
Forgive me, I didn't know that.

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 7:03 pm

l can understand that the area has to be closed off until the problem has been dealt with, but why then, on two days when l have passed by, has there been no-one around to do any work at all!!!

buzz

Post by buzz » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 9:25 pm

Well, I suspect that they will have to carry out a full risk assessment, consider the impact that this hole will have on any ethnic minority communities, find out if they will be infringing anyone's human rights, wade through a mountain of EU legislation, put the job out to tender to all member countries of the EU and finally round up a few Polish blokes to do the job. You just can't rush things like this!

Toady

Post by Toady » Sat 09 Aug, 2014 9:54 pm

Quite so Buzz. In my day we'd have simply opened up the hole and backfilled it wih those european community procurement bureaucrats and others you mention who popped out of our risk and community impact assessments. Topped up with a layer of blast furnace slag.

On the positive side the ongoing ditherment does offer the opportunity for folks to learn the pleasure of shanks' pony...