Looks like Bypass is getting closer

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
Falstaff
Re: Looks like Bypass is getting closer

Post by Falstaff » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:37 pm

I don't think there would be huge danger of "infilling" by developers between Hertford and a bypass if there are no junctions off it between Cole Green and the A10 and it is sufficiently far away from the town.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 2:26 am

Falstaff wrote:I don't think there would be huge danger of "infilling" by developers between Hertford and a bypass if there are no junctions off it between Cole Green and the A10 and it is sufficiently far away from the town.
This is what the draft Local Transport Plan has to say about a Hertford Bypass (the bold emphasis is mine):

"Highway bypass north or south of Hertford to reroute the A414 and connect with the A10 east of the town. The scheme would be delivered in conjunction with the Sustainable Travel Town proposal for the town, which would utilise traffic reductions and road space no longer needed in the town to deliver significant improvements in walking, cycling and passenger transport provision.The scheme is needed because traffic levels and congestion on the A414 through the town limits further growth of the town, which would otherwise result in a severe deterioration in journey times and reliability, and the further deterioration in the quality of the urban environment. The scheme should enable further growth of Hertford beyond that currently included in the emerging East Hertfordshire Local Plan. This should be a consideration in the further development of the scheme given its potential to strengthen the case for the scheme and fund its delivery. As with other Sustainable Travel Towns this scheme also provides the potential for greater housing density and car free development in the town, which should also be a consideration in Local Plan development. The scheme will be investigated further as part of the A414 Corridor Strategy."

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:17 am

also the route isnt finalised yet. In fact, they've barely considered it.

cole green may be one option - the other option is hertingfordbury. If it joins there, then it will be very close to the town.
(and a connection at hertingfordbury was mentioned in the docs)

There's extremely likely to be filling in, wherever the bypass goes! Just look at buntingford.. And for that matter, bishops stortford.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 2:03 pm

At the risk of repeating myself, at the moment a Hertford Bypass is simply a concept (the word used in the LTP). If there is broad agreement on the principle then the County Council will start looking at potential routes and associated costs before staging public consultations. Obviously, the shorter the route, the lower the cost. I would anticipate that any route would be south of the town as I imagine it would have to link up with the A10 interchange at either Rush Green or Little Amwell.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 2:52 pm

Steve - work on the routes *has* already been done in the past. That work won't be thrown away.. Although some of it may now be defunct. You're right though, the route north of the town was discounted.

ha, connection at rush green? That'd be fun!!