Sunday Xmas shopping event

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Golden
Sunday Xmas shopping event

Post by Golden » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 6:29 pm

Just a plug for the initiative in Hertford on Sunday taken from the Mercury.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/H ... 170725.htm

sallyb

Re: Sunday Xmas shopping event

Post by sallyb » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 9:09 pm

Great initiative! I'll be there supporting the event as one of the street performers, as requested by the Council, and will try to get a little Christmas shopping in either side of the performance :D

Marshmellow

Post by Marshmellow » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 1:40 pm

Sounds great,count me in! :D

2929paul

Post by 2929paul » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 9:56 pm

sallyb wrote:Great initiative! I'll be there supporting the event as one of the street performers, as requested by the Council, and will try to get a little Christmas shopping in either side of the performance :D
Where and when? And performing what, exactly?

sallyb

Post by sallyb » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 12:20 am

2929paul wrote:
sallyb wrote:Great initiative! I'll be there supporting the event as one of the street performers, as requested by the Council, and will try to get a little Christmas shopping in either side of the performance :D
I'm not sure I'm allowed to "promote" our band specifically as I don't have 10 posts on the new forum yet and I don't want to harp on about it :)

LesterRouge

Post by LesterRouge » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 12:30 am

sallyb wrote:
2929paul wrote:
I'm not sure I'm allowed to "promote" our band specifically as I don't have 10 posts on the new forum yet and I don't want to harp on about it :)
I believe the band you're referring to is Schrödinger's Strings, the musical trio consisting of two harps and an acoustic guitar. Apparently the word on the street is that we're playing outside WH Smith's from around 2pm.

2929paul

Post by 2929paul » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 11:06 am

Now I'm intrigued. Was going to come in anyway but this seals the deal

Surfer Rosa

Post by Surfer Rosa » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 10:28 am

Look what they're saying about this over on WareOnline!

"Just to underline the fantastic success of [Ware's] Dickensian evening [on Friday], we went to Hertford [Sunday] lunchtime which was allegedly hosting a Christmas Shopping Festival. The place was deserted. Darkmark was there with his young Brownie and their pack singing carols, but there were almost no shoppers out. It was feeble. There was no christmas atmosphere. They did have a stage by WH Smith, but a death metal percussion band or something like that called Jesus Hooligan scared everyone away by screaming at over 100 decibels. When we emerged from hiding they did have some good Morris Dancers, but all in all it was a bit of a flop."

"They just don't have the organisers that Ware does. Quite often where Ware leads Hertford follows."

That's fightin' talk!

Mrs T

Post by Mrs T » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 11:39 am

I found that lots of people hadn't heard about it, and those that went into town said it was dead!

City Fella

Post by City Fella » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 1:17 pm

In general, I tend to agree a little with the Wareonline comments (please don't ostracise me!) and aside from the Leaf Cafe & shops along St Andrews Street, I felt a bit let down by this event.

The town seemed only marginally busier than a usual Sunday