Panshanger Great Oak trail opening event

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Marilyn
Panshanger Great Oak trail opening event

Post by Marilyn » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 1:19 pm

One day only, see the great oak, orangery and where the house stood Sunday 12th July 11 am to 3 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/1628497120761152/

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Panshanger Great Oak trail opening event

Post by Steve » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 3:37 pm

This is a little ambiguous. This is an opening event that lasts from 11-3. However, as I understand it, the trail itself will be open from thereon.

http://www.lafargetarmac.com/panshanger ... 12th-july/

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 6:30 pm

It's not one day only. It's the opening of the trail. From tomorrow it will be open as per the rest of the park.

Expect to see a lot of this over the next few years - by when the whole park should have been re-opened.

Personally i'd like to see the over zealous fencing across the site addressed!

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Wed 15 Jul, 2015 11:43 am

My apologies it was the event that was one day, the new trail is now open, the friends also do special heritage walk days.
http://friendsofpanshangerpark.co.uk/
If you have not been its worth going it is a wonderful area to have available now thanks to the work of the friends pushing for it to happen all be it 30 years later than expected!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 8:51 pm

Well after an hour and a half walking around Panshanger Park this afternoon I finally found The Oak Trail, no thanks to the virtual lack of any signage. It wasn't just me either - I was approached by other people asking if I knew where it was. The website's not much help either.

muddy

Post by muddy » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 12:15 pm

Glad it wasn't just me Steve - I went over there last Sunday 2 hours after the event finished & was unable to find it too. It's supposed to start somewhere near the fly-fishing lake is that right?

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 8:50 am

May I suggest you put something on their Facebook page/twitter that way they will know the signs are not good enough.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 10:57 am

I found it straight away - there's plenty of signs, the trick is you have to get to the starting point of the trail first - which is at the cottage and this was well advertised.

Gotta say the park is stunning. I'll say it again hertford is extremely lucky to have such a world class example of an english landscape garden on its doorstep and public too.

https://twitter.com/codek1/status/623430852253515776

https://twitter.com/codek1/status/623430666433245184

I'd like to see a more circular walk so you don't have to enter and exit the trail at the same point (if that makes sense! - there's a 300m track through the sheep field you have to go in and out of)

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 3:24 pm

codek2 wrote:I found it straight away - there's plenty of signs, the trick is you have to get to the starting point of the trail first
There's a post in the ground with a picture of an oak leaf on it. That's not very helpful. It doesn't tell you which direction to go in. The sheep field has no visible path. Like I say - I wasn't the other one who couldn't find it. It's all very well if you know the trail starts at Riverside House, but how would you know this to start with? Throughout the walk there are no information boards - just plaques that say "information coming soon". These should have been in place before the trail was opened. There should also current trail maps at the car parks. I've emailed my concerns to both The Park and Friends of Panshanger Park.

There also needs to be more information and maps at the Thieves Lane car park.

And where's the visitor centre promised 30 years ago?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 4:13 pm

The opening press release clearly stated the trail started at the cottage. Not my fault you can't follow directions or a trail of marker posts. There IS a clear path it has been mown in!

I'm sure there will be more up at thieves lane soon however. But no doubt waiting on the ever slow drip feed of pennies from Lafarge.