Restaurant/takeaway ideas

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
SunnyCM
Restaurant/takeaway ideas

Post by SunnyCM » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi,

I've lived in Hertford for a couple of years now and I'm considering creating a food business here. This would most likely be a takeaway initially and I have a concept in mind. However, I'm interested in what you feel Hertford is missing. I know we have Thai, Mexican, Italian, Indian, Japanese and Turkish all covered - however do you feel like there is any gaps from any of those cuisines? Alternatively are there any other cuisines or cultures that
you feel are not represented, that would be well received.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Restaurant/takeaway ideas

Post by Steve » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 1:26 am

Lebanese?

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 1:55 pm

A second for Lebanese from me, kind of yalla yalla thing..

SunnyCM

Post by SunnyCM » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, don't you feel that food is kind of covered by Turkish Kitchen/Veysos? I appreciate they are not exactly the same, but to many people I would worry they will be seen that way.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 2:22 am

South African?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:47 pm

Sounds crazy, but how is it we're in this situation where we have thai totally sorted, and very good japanese too - yet we don't have a chinese?

Sometimes can't beat a good chinese! I miss paddyfields!

SunnyCM

Post by SunnyCM » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I agree, however I feel Chinese is one of those foods that you want to be served by a Chinese person. I know Mr Tanaka's serves up great fare from some non-japanese chaps, but I just feel the lack of authenticity would hurt me.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 9:48 am

Tapas would be lovely. Or a proper American diner type, more family oriented than Sloppys which is just a sports bar really.

Also a bigger family oriented Mexican. Again, Dirties is more of a bar selling Mexican and not geared up to families.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 2:42 pm

+1 for family oriented!

TullochArd

Post by TullochArd » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 6:08 pm

At long last a thread which has finally enticed me to register for this forum...

I moved to Hertford 2 years ago from Stoke Newington, and the number of places to eat and drink was one of the things that attracted me to the area. However, I don't think many are up to scratch - in fact too many of them I will never set foot in again because the food is poor, overpriced, up their own *rses and/or service is dire. I will refrain from naming them!!

IMHO, Mr Tanaka's and The Raj are the two places I would visit if I lived anywhere in the UK. I also like The Salisbury as it is the closet you can get to no-nonsense, home style cooking, but it could be so much better (their new menu is getting there!)

BTW - there is a 'Chinese' takeaway at the bottom of Villiers Street/Ware Road. The crispy duck is good - the rest....Hmmmm...... saying that it is getting difficult finding a decent Chinese anywhere, and I include London's China Town in that.

Anyway, I digress I'd like....

- A Indonesian/Malaysian/Vietnamese place. The Thai places we have a alright, but lack inventiveness and diversity. Nothing beats a properly done Beef Rendang.
- A place that does good hipster style burgers and dogs. There are lots of places that currently try to do them in Hertford, albeit not very well.
- Argentinian steak house. The only place I've had a decent steak was at the Hertford Club when they did steak nights. (I acknowledge this couldn't be a takeaway)
- A good Mexican, but these apparently no longer exist anywhere in the UK anymore.

One day I dream to open a place - but it seems like too much hassle!!!