Bengeo Gravel Extraction

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Bengeo Gravel Extraction

Post by Steve » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 2:41 pm

A planning application has been submitted to the County Council to extract gravel from an area adjacent to Rickney's Quarry, north of Bengeo.

There's a lot of opposition to this and a Facebook Group has been started to oppose the plans, with the town council calling it "completely inappropriate".

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/O ... story.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/992628417479697

Darcy Sarto

Re: Bengeo Gravel Extraction

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 6:05 pm

As a Bengeo resident I have sight of a letter encouraging me object in the strongest terms.

Now don't misunderstand me - I am against the development and will likely be objecting but those wishing to object must base their objections in the factual world and not the realms of unsubstantiated rumour and just plain inaccuracy.

Under a heading "How will this affect us" the letter kicks off with:

"A drop in your house price (estimated at a minumum of £50-100,000 each) as we turn into a semi industrial area thus spoiling the natural landscape"

This must be conjecture at best and there is nothing natural about a field of oil seed rape (even if it is marginally prettier than a quarry)! Indeed "nature" is making a comeback on the other side of Vicarage Lane thanks to Hertfordshire and Middlesex Wildlife Trust and (oh yes) Lafarge - on Waterford Heath which is, of course, a reclaimed sand and gravel extraction site.

If the quarry cannot be prevented (and I hope it can) what will really be an issue is what they do with the hole in fifteen years time. If it is to be returned to "nature" like parts of Waterford Heath then all well and good but holes in the ground that large are excellent for landfill which would concern me more than the quarry....

Keep factual (but don't ignore the emotions kicked up) and objections will carry more weight.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 9:10 pm

Why can't they dig the gravel out near somebody else's house ?
I appreciate that I'm happy to use sand and gravel, in fact I wouldn't have a house if there was no sand, but it's not fair that my house is temporarily blighted, when surely they could dig it out near Stevenage or Harlow where people wouldn't mind so much ?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 3:56 am

Was there any indication as to the source of the letter?
Darcy Sarto wrote:As a Bengeo resident I have sight of a letter encouraging me object in the strongest terms.

Now don't misunderstand me - I am against the development and will likely be objecting but those wishing to object must base their objections in the factual world and not the realms of unsubstantiated rumour and just plain inaccuracy.

Under a heading "How will this affect us" the letter kicks off with:

"A drop in your house price (estimated at a minumum of £50-100,000 each) as we turn into a semi industrial area thus spoiling the natural landscape"

This must be conjecture at best and there is nothing natural about a field of oil seed rape (even if it is marginally prettier than a quarry)! Indeed "nature" is making a comeback on the other side of Vicarage Lane thanks to Hertfordshire and Middlesex Wildlife Trust and (oh yes) Lafarge - on Waterford Heath which is, of course, a reclaimed sand and gravel extraction site.

If the quarry cannot be prevented (and I hope it can) what will really be an issue is what they do with the hole in fifteen years time. If it is to be returned to "nature" like parts of Waterford Heath then all well and good but holes in the ground that large are excellent for landfill which would concern me more than the quarry....

Keep factual (but don't ignore the emotions kicked up) and objections will carry more weight.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 3:59 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:If it is to be returned to "nature" like parts of Waterford Heath then all well and good but holes in the ground that large are excellent for landfill which would concern me more than the quarry....
The existing Rickney's doesn't set a good precedent - abandoned 20 years ago with little restoration (unlike Waterford Heath). Even Tarmac/LaFarge/Whoever took a couple of decades to fulfil their obligations in Panshanger Park.

Harry Palmer

Post by Harry Palmer » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 8:44 am

As a hiker I would hate to see the lovely footpath to Chapmore End ruined or even removed by a quarry. In the summer it is of my favourite local walks as the footpath comes in to Bengeo, some great views can be had. The old Rickneys quarry is indeed a sad blot on the local landscape when we consider other restored sites locally.

I

beebopb

Post by beebopb » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:00 am

Details of the proposal, level-headed objections, how to get involved and are now collated here: http://stopbengeoquarry.org.uk/

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 1:04 pm

I agree that the letter that's been circulated does contain some possibly doubtful parts (especially the house price comment).

The consultation the proposers have carried out is fairly pitiful though - it's basically just the very closest houses. No wonder they only had 80 people at the public consultation event - I'd never heard about until I got the campaign letter through the other day.

They seem to have glossed over the fact that parts of the plan are outside the preferred area for the quarry according to the local minerals plan. I'd have thought that would be a worthwhile objection to make (amongst other things). Also the stop Bengeo Quarry website talks about health issues from dust - however the environmental report suggests dust isn't likely to be a problem mainly because sand and gravel deposits don't need drilling and blasting. It would be useful to know how accurate the health concerns are (especially given the proximity to the school).

theadmans

Post by theadmans » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 8:24 pm

Working from home today and answered the door today to a pleasant young lady with a Stop Bengeo Quarry poster.

Have stuck the poster to my front window and dashed off the template letter in the post to Ms Hart at Herts Council.

I enjoy my Summer weekend walks across beautiful countryside to the Woodman Pub at Chapmore End - so I urge all fellow Bengeo citizens to stop this madness now.

bengeoresident

Post by bengeoresident » Thu 14 Apr, 2016 8:21 am

Like it or not the Hertford area is rich in gravel, the aggregate has to come from somewhere to build roads etc. adopting a stance of NIMBY is not really gong to work.