Bengeo Byelection

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Re: Bengeo Byelection

Post by Steve » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 2:24 am

night owl wrote:
Darcy Sarto wrote:
admin wrote:This is a discussion about the Bengeo by-election, not UKIP.
...but as UKIP are standing discussion of their egregious and erroneously founded national "policies" that feed on fear, hate and ignorance is a quite legitimate use of a local forum surely.

We do talk about the weather here also and that even goes on in Ware!
Did you read the Mercury about that immigrant in Ware assaulting those two females or the immigrant on the front page trying to do a smash and grab from Hinds, sorry it must just be my imagination. And there are more to follow in their footsteps.
Yes, it is your imagination. Nowhere in either report does it state they're immigrants. In your ignorance you've assumed that anyone who has a foreign sounding name must be an immigrant. Did you read any of the stories about crimes committed by people with English sounding names? Or were they in my imagination?

And as for the report about the hammer attack on Hinds, it says the suspect was possibly of Turkish ethnicity, as is one of our Conservative town councillors. Which brings us nicely back on topic :)
Last edited by Steve on Fri 17 Jan, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reworded for clarity and to add salient points

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 8:14 am

As "immigrants" are net contributors to the UK economy perhaps Mr/Mrs Owl is happy to see them all "sent back/turned away" so he/she can work harder and pay MORE tax?

Joby

Post by Joby » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 10:15 am

Byelection is today...we've had leaflets through the door from the LibDem and Labour candidates, nothing from anyone else.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:22 am

A Labour win but close run

Labour 337
Liberal Democrats 319
UKIP 318
Last edited by Steve on Thu 23 Jan, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To correct figure for Labour from 330 to 337

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 8:49 am

wow that is disappointing in so many ways

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:14 am

Why disappointing? It's democratic, and the candidate with the most votes won. Putting personal feelings aside, I felt there was little to choose between Labour and LibDem based on campaign material alone.

Slightly worrying that UKIP garnered 33% of the vote, but I suspect that would have been reduced to virtually nothing if there had been a conservative candidate.

Anyone know what the turnout was? I was very quiet when I popped in at 6pm.

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:42 am

what was 'slightly disappointing' as a previous post put it is,that 66% of people in Bengeo voted for left of centre (labour - economic incompetents, Lib Dems - just incompetent) parties?? wow , these people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Never mind, UKIP will storm the Euro elections in May.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:00 am

Joby Disappointing in 3 ways:

So many people voting ukip
So many people in a "tory" area voting labour ( If that translates to a general election then we're screwed )
Lib dem so nearly getting in - A tiny bit more work and they'd have done it. They must be gutted.

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:08 am

MultiDad wrote: 66% of people in Bengeo voted for left of centre (labour - economic incompetents, Lib Dems - just incompetent) parties??
I rarely vote along party political lines at local elections as generally it doesn't make sense to do so. Ignore the party allegiance and vote for the candidate you feel will do the best job for the area. Perhaps 66% of the people who voted yesterday agree with that sentiment.

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:16 am

codek2 wrote: So many people in a "tory" area voting labour ( If that translates to a general election then we're screwed )
But that could also be translated as "So many people not voting UKIP despite there being no right-of-centre alternative", for which I am thankful.
codek2 wrote:Lib dem so nearly getting in - A tiny bit more work and they'd have done it. They must be gutted.
Nearly? They were closer to 3rd than 1st.