Sovereign House, Gascoyne Way

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
Maurader
Sovereign House, Gascoyne Way

Post by Maurader » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 3:25 pm

Whilst out for a walk, I saw a surveyor measuring up outside Sovereign House last week. In his hand were drawings on apartments and landscaping scheme. I know a planning application went in to EHDC to convert that site to homes, so I'm hoping the surveyor's presence means that's either approved or well advanced. It will be great to see that run-down building demolished and replaced with something more attractive and in keeping with the town.

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Sovereign House, Gascoyne Way

Post by Steve » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 6:47 pm

No decision has yet been made. I believe the developer was advised that planning officers would likely refuse the application on a number of grounds, including over-development and the lack of a plan for the Elbert Wurlings building. Hertford Town Council also raised issues about poor parking provision. I suspect the developers are working to amend their plans to increase the likelihood of approval.

Maurader

Post by Maurader » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 10:18 pm

Here's hoping a compromise position can be found as the current building is a total eyesore and getting worse with each passing week.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 1:45 am

A new planning application has been submitted, although it's not online yet.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 1:03 am

Planning approved

http://www.hertford.net/blog/index.php?id=1389" target="_blank

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 6:14 am

pretty good quality parking then, at least in the event of an attack the garage is going to be a handy place to have :)

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 2:17 pm

Is this the application that has been approved: 3/13/1967/FP?
Refers to "Demolition of Sovereign House and redevelopment to provide 84no. residential units, 83 car parking spaces, relocated sub-station and associated access, amenity space and landscaping - Amended Scheme"
If so, fewer flats, less disparity between flats and parking spaces though can one anticipate how many will be 2 car households?

Edited.... Oops, not my intention to turn this into a parking debate: this is amply covered elsewhere I am sure.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 9:31 pm

Wonder how much cheaper the one without a parking space will be?

Seriously though, more flats? Just what the doctor ordered - well it would be if you can get to see one with no extra amenities and infrastructure in place to support all the new intensive development. Apart from coffee shops obviously.