Foggy Lights

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Marshmellow
Foggy Lights

Post by Marshmellow » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 1:21 am

I know its common sense to turn lights on in the dark/fog but i've noticed a fair few don't because as replied " lights are auto they come on when need be" .... well they are not! please stay safe and be respectful check that they have.

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Foggy Lights

Post by Steve » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 3:16 am

Marshmellow wrote:I know its common sense to turn lights on in the dark/fog but i've noticed a fair few don't because as replied " lights are auto they come on when need be" .... well they are not! please stay safe and be respectful check that they have.
I'm sorry, I'm not quite following you. Are you talking about car headlights? I've never had a car where the headlights switch on and off automatically, which is what I think you're suggesting.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 5:41 am

Steve wrote:
Marshmellow wrote:I know its common sense to turn lights on in the dark/fog but i've noticed a fair few don't because as replied " lights are auto they come on when need be" .... well they are not! please stay safe and be respectful check that they have.
I'm sorry, I'm not quite following you. Are you talking about car headlights? I've never had a car where the headlights switch on and off automatically, which is what I think you're suggesting.
The automatic lights started a few years ago. My Peugeot 407 that I brought 5 years ago has automatic headlights and wipers but it still has there respective "stalks" on either side of the steering wheel. I personally let the on board computer run them except when there is fog or it's raining too fine as the sensor cannot tell the differance.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 7:20 am

Yes, automatic lights are all well and good but even though the visibility may be poor the ambient light level may be ok so they will not switch on. The other thing is when you then drive your wife's car you set off with no lights on :oops:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 9:39 am

Two of our cars have auto headlights and daylight running lights so we do not need to worry too much in normal driving conditions (my third classic car has no mod cons, electric windows are the only excitement in that car) but fog lights are not automatic. We only just bought one of the cars a few weeks ago so had to learn how to turn the fog lights on yesterday!

I find it just as irritating when some people put fog lights on when not foggy (which is actually illegal). It is not difficult to ensure your car is correctly lit for the conditions, we still check using reflections on cars/windows etc even though the cars have auto headlights.

(my little one has pop up headlights so very easy to check and still makes me smile)

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 10:39 am

Test.

First post on new forum..

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 10:39 am

It worked....

Now another 8 meaningless posts.

james

Post by james » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 10:59 am

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:08 pm

lol steve come on, cars have had automatic lights for ages now. Certainly way more than 5 years!
Havent you noticed how on a car in front they often come on briefly then turn off a few mins later when they drive under a bridge?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 1:11 pm

codek2 wrote:lol steve come on, cars have had automatic lights for ages now. Certainly way more than 5 years!
Havent you noticed how on a car in front they often come on briefly then turn off a few mins later when they drive under a bridge?
Nope, never come across them and never noticed the behaviour you describe. This forum is so educational :)

As someone quite rightly points out, it's a driver's responsibility to be on control of their vehicle and not to assume that some sort of installed technology allows them to relinquish that responsibility.