Foggy Lights

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Mrs T
Re: Foggy Lights

Post by Mrs T » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 1:26 pm

Having just driven through Hertford I am amazed by the amount of people who haven't got lights on, morons!

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 3:27 pm

Steve wrote:
codek2 wrote:lol steve come on, cars have had automatic lights for ages now. Certainly way more than 5 years!
Havent you noticed how on a car in front they often come on briefly then turn off a few mins later when they drive under a bridge?
Nope, never come across them and never noticed the behaviour you describe. This forum is so educational :)

As someone quite rightly points out, it's a driver's responsibility to be on control of their vehicle and not to assume that some sort of installed technology allows them to relinquish that responsibility.
You're not the only one Steve, I didn't know about automatic headlights either.

I saw a couple of cars early this morning without their lights on and couldn't understand why not, just another excuse for irresponsible driving.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 4:28 pm

Kateg28 wrote:Two of our cars have auto headlights and daylight running lights so we do not need to worry too much in normal driving conditions (my third classic car has no mod cons, electric windows are the only excitement in that car) but fog lights are not automatic. We only just bought one of the cars a few weeks ago so had to learn how to turn the fog lights on yesterday!

I find it just as irritating when some people put fog lights on when not foggy (which is actually illegal). It is not difficult to ensure your car is correctly lit for the conditions, we still check using reflections on cars/windows etc even though the cars have auto headlights.

(my little one has pop up headlights so very easy to check and still makes me smile)
I switched on my fog lights (on top of automatic headlights - swank swank) for the first time yesterday and today.

The practice of using fog lights when not needed (to apparently announce your presence in your BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Land Rover) gets right on my pip too. It is illegal but I have yet to see or hear of this particular construction and use regulation (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989) being enforced. Some of the Christmas tree style "daylight running lights" can be a bit disconcerting in the dark as well.

As for cyclists dashing about with inadequate lights/visibility apparel - don't get me started....... :evil:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 5:24 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:
The practice of using fog lights when not needed (to apparently announce your presence in your BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Land Rover) gets right on my pip too.
Um, one of our cars appears in your list :oops: But we don't use fog lights willy nilly.

Anyhow, it reminds me of an old joke that I recently reheard.

Policeman stops a motorist and when asked why, states it is because the Windscreen Washers are faulty.
The motorist protests saying they are working to which the policeman asks why he is not using them.

"But isn't raining" states the motorist.

The Policeman replies "Well it isn't foggy but you have your fog lights on" :lol:

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 6:11 pm

I pointed out to some staff driving into work that they should have their lights on. "Why, I can see?".. the point I made in reply was its not necessarily for you to see easier (though it helps a bit!).. its to be seen and the difference it makes to spotting a car amongst the grey and brown roads we drive on is immense.. I love using my front and rear fog lights.. although I must admit it took a few minutes to remember where the switches were on the car!!!! :D

night owl

Post by night owl » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 7:07 pm

If the street lights are on then you are advised to at least put your side lights on, automatic or manual they should be on. I saw a black Audi driving up St Andrews Street this evening and it was dark as well as foggy with no lights on, people like this are putting other road users at risk as well as them selves, I do not understand where the police are because they use to love pulling a car with no lights on just to see if they have been drinking.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 7:17 pm

night owl wrote:If the street lights are on then you are advised to at least put your side lights on.
I've never understood why anyone uses sidelights. They're useless. If you need to put your lights on whilst driving, use headlights.
Drama Queen wrote:I pointed out to some staff driving into work that they should have their lights on. "Why, I can see?"..
They really said that? I can't believe the ignorance of some people :o

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 7:23 pm

Nearly got run down by a white van with no lights, looming out of the fog at me this morning! Made me shift l can tell you!! :shock:

Ted Badger

Post by Ted Badger » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 8:21 pm

Sudi wrote:Nearly got run down by a white van with no lights, looming out of the fog at me this morning! Made me shift l can tell you!! :shock:
Ah... shift, sorry - I thought you said...

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 5:43 am

Kateg28 wrote:
I find it just as irritating when some people put fog lights on when not foggy (which is actually illegal). It is not difficult to ensure your car is correctly lit for the conditions, we still check using reflections on cars/windows etc even though the cars have auto headlights.
It didn't know that it was illegal. Is this something new ?

I don't know what the law is here in Spain but I always use my front fog lights at night if I have to go out. That because I have nyctalopia or in laymans terms night blindness and it's the only way I can drive and actually make out the side of the road.