How many migrants live in Hertford...?

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
MultiDad
How many migrants live in Hertford...?

Post by MultiDad » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 11:34 am

draw your own conclusions to satisfy your own political view. It's from the Office of National Statistics http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-are-migra ... your-area/

bengeoresident

Re: How many migrants live in Hertford...?

Post by bengeoresident » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 2:08 pm

it would be interesting to see the split for illegal immigrants (I guess this number will be an estimation), something needs to be done regarding the number of immigrants in this country.

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 3:27 pm

The London borough I work in has 51%.... i defy anyone to tell me that is a good thing. We're not talking racism here, we are talking sheer volume of people

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 4:28 pm

This is a local forum for the discussion of local issues and the title of the discussion reflects that. Rather than commenting on immigration as a general subject, please could we keep this in the context of Hertford.

james

Post by james » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 5:23 pm

MultiDad wrote:The London borough I work in has 51%.... i defy anyone to tell me that is a good thing. We're not talking racism here, we are talking sheer volume of people
So why is it not a good thing?

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 8:17 am

james wrote:
MultiDad wrote:The London borough I work in has 51%.... i defy anyone to tell me that is a good thing. We're not talking racism here, we are talking sheer volume of people
So why is it not a good thing?
Infrastructure?
I don't think Hertford could cope with a large influx of people, already the large number of flats being built are straining everything.

I don't think there are enough school places for existing inhabitants.
The trains are increasingly overcrowded and not a lot of scope to increase them (there are only so many lines into London).
Last time I wanted a non emergency appointment at my Doctors, I was quoted a 5 week wait.

These things take time to plan and build so we are creaking.

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 1:53 pm

exactly! I just want Hertford to escape the coming 'Multi-Culturism' (which has NEVER, EVER worked). I used to live in Edmonton (as a child). barely recognisable now.

james

Post by james » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 4:23 pm

Places change. They always have done and always will. It's naive to expect them to stay the same.

Hertford itself has been an attractive place to live and work for a long time now. Serving as a commuter town to London and the life sciences industries throughout Hertfordshire it's been a magnet for people from all over the UK, the world and even Edmonton. Celebrate the fact you live somewhere that is thriving. The worst thing that can happen is it becomes a ghetto for the white middle class, which with house prices still going up and no decent family sized homes being built, may actually happen.

The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 5:10 pm

MultiDad wrote:exactly! I just want Hertford to escape the coming 'Multi-Culturism' (which has NEVER, EVER worked). I used to live in Edmonton (as a child). barely recognisable now.
So you're a migrant then?

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 8:34 am

MultiDad wrote:exactly! I just want Hertford to escape the coming 'Multi-Culturism' (which has NEVER, EVER worked). I used to live in Edmonton (as a child). barely recognisable now.
Just to clarify, my post was about influx of people irrespective of their origin or culture. The infrastructure needs reworking and developing to cope with more people whether they come from Syria, Calais, Edmonton or even, dare I say it, Ware?

(for the avoidance of doubt, I moved from Ware to Hertford 5 years ago so can poke fun at myself) :D