Parking on the pavements

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
jasmine98
Re: Parking on the pavements

Post by jasmine98 » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 6:42 pm

Agreed Joby, that just about sums it up, a bit more consideration for others! There is no legal entitlement to park on the road or pavement at any time, it is a privilege, don't abuse it.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 9:41 pm

I think you'll find that people will simply concrete over their front gardens and park there - I certainly will.

It's a shame, but if you have a car you have to park somewhere

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 12:30 pm

Presumably people would only do that if their front gardens were big enough (most of which in Bengeo aren't if they've not already been done). I don't mind people paving over their front gardens (though obviously you need to comply with planning rules to do that) because that's your own space anyway.

People do have to park somewhere, but not necessarily right outside their house. Public space has to be shared between pedestrians, parked cars and cars being driven and I find it a bit unfair that the space allocated to pedestrians (which is already quite low) is further arbitrarily cut back in favour of cars. I hope that car clubs and similar schemes will continue to expand because it just really doesn't make sense to me to have so much space taken over by cars which are not even being used most of the time.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:23 pm

Smudger wrote:I think you'll find that people will simply concrete over their front gardens and park there - I certainly will.
Presumably after first applying for and having a dropped curb installed - I believe an offence would be committed if you drove over the pavement to your front garden without.

Golden

Post by Golden » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:54 pm

Smudger you are missing the point - if you're car is in your front garden its not a problem - its the cars that obstruct the pavements that are causing concern. Elderly, disabled, mum's pushing prams possibly with other children in tow have to move into the road to pass these obstructions putting them at unnecessary risk and in areas such as the lower extents of Bengeo the risk is heightened as often there is no accessible pavement for a considerable distance. Yes you have to park a car somewhere but that should not be at the inconvenience of others.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 6:41 pm

Golden, would I be correct in assuming that you don't have a car, or if you do, have a driveway ?

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 10:30 am

Currently have one car and a driveway but lived in Molewood Rd for ten years with two cars and no driveway therefore feel qualified to comment if that's the angle you're trying to come from.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:06 am

Whatever

Golden

Post by Golden » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:40 am

Anytime :lol: :lol:

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 6:54 pm

East Herts Council is proposing to issue Traffic Regulation Orders banning pavement parking in some areas. This also covers parking on grass verges.