Hertford gasworks

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
highwood38
Hertford gasworks

Post by highwood38 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 1:53 pm

Got through a flyer in the post today about a public consultation on proposals for a new mixed use development at the former Hertford Gasworks (or HERT 2 in the district plan). It's Sat 23rd June from 10am till 3pm at the Mill Bridge Rooms. Apologies for quality but quick photo attached...
Attachments
gasworks.JPG
gasworks.JPG (139.85KiB)Viewed 16816 times

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Hertford gasworks

Post by Steve » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 6:02 pm

This is a pre-submission consultation so it's an exercise by the developers to see what they can get away with.

I doubt they'll get planning permission for anywhere near 450. They're just trying it on.

HertfordEastEnd

Post by HertfordEastEnd » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 10:23 pm

The traffic along Mead Lane is terrible already, I cannot see how they could make that work.

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 5:38 pm

Mr recollection of the District Plan (available at https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/mainmodifications) is that the proposal is 'at least 200 homes by 2027' and ' 3000sqm of B1 employment and other employment generating uses'.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 5:42 pm

I went to the exhibition at the Millbridge Rooms this afternoon.

This is a photo of one of the boards. It's hard to take them seriously.
exhibition_board.jpg
exhibition_board.jpg (103.58KiB)Viewed 16400 times

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 6:32 pm

I do love their assessment of the local road capacity - one can see they are selling not buying.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 9:17 pm

how on gods earth can another 450 houses not impact a junction at breaking point

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 1:56 pm

This overdevelopment around Hertford East and Mead Lane is making me despondent and angry in equal measures. Surely we have enough flats by now? Is there no need for actual houses?

Each development is getting higher and higher now as they are referencing the neighbouring blocks and adding one floor on. The chap at the exhibition made me laugh as he is convinced that there is such a steep hill on Mead Lane that the 6 or 7 storey proposed blocks at the end would appear to be no higher than the 5 storey block at the start of the development because of this steep gradient.

I don't think he has ever been down Mead Lane. I certainly never noticed a steep decline - any one else seen it? :lol:

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm

Perhaps the steep hill he refers to is Marshgate Dr and the drop to the car park on the Meads - but then what would a developer know about the area he is selling! Still this is early days and until they actually put a planning application in there is little one can do other than make your views known to your District Councillor https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/article/35 ... Councillor .When the planning application does appear on the EHDC site you are also entitled to submit your own objections/comments.

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 8:55 pm

It says they've now submitted their planning application, but I can't see anything on East Herts website.

https://www.hertfordgasworks.co.uk/background/

Their response to feedback so far is interesting. They talk about widening Marshgate drive, but not much about the fact the overall access issues would be further down the road near the station or the junction with Ware road. Also they talk about new "walking, running and cycling routes" but I struggle to see where these would be on the plans (other than getting around within the development, which I'm not sure counts). It would be nice if a development like this put in place better joined up pedestrian access points for people, so that future developments could then work off that to create a good overall pedestrian network. As it is they just put a small green space in the back of each development and then close it off which doesn't really help much.